Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one for you battery experts. OK, while I was waiting for my BRC to roll around after my 30 day one per lifetime learner's permit ran out, I decided that to maximize motorcycle experience I would start my bike every day. I knew it would run the battery out eventually but I still have the Yuasa that came with the bike and a battery tender and when the battery gave out I would just switch in the old but fully charged battery. The thing is, the battery never got too low to start the bike, and the Yuasa has been off the charger for a while now and probably the electrolyte is a little low from evaporation since I have been to lazy to put the caps back on. Any way, the question I have is: is it hard on the battery to be less than fully charged but still good to start the bike? I ride the bike mostly short distances and I think if I put it on the charger it would really be fully charged like it was before I started the daily starting and running the bike till it warmed up routine. i don't think the charging system on the bike gets it there because the headlight is always on and I don't keep the bike revved up while I'm riding it that much. Now that I am going for frequent short rides it always starts right up and I am lazy about pulling the battery to put it on the charger. So, better to have the battery fully fully charged or is good good enough? I'm not too worried about running out of starting power but am concerned about long term battery life and performance.

Thanks,
DJM

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
First QUIT being lazy. Laziness is what KILLs most bikes. Bike need MORE attension than your regular transportation vehicle, BECAUSE they don't get used as much.
Top the battery up with water, put the caps back on. Caps off the water just evaporates faster. If you are not going to be riding it, put it on the charger. Starting it up and idling it for a while will not properly maintain a batteries charge, Infact it is probably more damaging that not running it. Charge it ro regularly ride it. If your speed sare not high enough to get good charging, DOWN SHIFT, drive at higher RPM. it take about 30 minutes at RPM above 1500 to replace the power used just to turn the starter at start-up. If you don't want to pull the battery to charge, then don't.. Add charging leads to the battery terminals and plug the charger into those. Just make sure you have a vent tube hooked-up and rooted to direct any escaping acip away from the bike

·
Registered
666 Posts
IMOA it's best not to cycle a battery up, and down. It shortens the life span. Don't know if our batteries are designed like a marine battery which are engineered for this. In general doing the little maintenance things will allow your battery to maintain it's performance, and longevity.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Also use a battery tender not a charger to keep it charged. they generally come with the battery leads and they wont overcharge.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. Point well taken 93gc40. I promise I'll do the right thing. I'm hip to the distilled water thing. The charger I'm using is a speed/charge maintainer 1.5. I beleive the 1.5 refers to maximum charge rate in Amperes. I bought it at Auto Zone.
I know as a physicist that there is quite a bit of science going on inside the battery.
The spchMnt claims to have a smart interface that will charge the battery to full charge, wait for it to naturally discharge to a certain point, then recharge to a full charge thus "mainaining" the battery. When I bought it, I asked if for a charger and they said this is a charger. What are you guys using?
Thanks,
DJM

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I have a cheap float charger from Harbor Freight that I use and a Full size auto matic charger. I use the bigger charger at home and through the floater in my bag on trips.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I just plugged in the Yuasa. Actually the levels are all good still on that battery. When I bought my new battery at Wal Mart It came as a kit with a bottle of acid and an empty battery case. It was the last one they had. The old Yuasa will take a charge, but the new battery has shown itself to be superior so far. (see OP.) The directions for the charger say to uncork the cells while charging so I will leave them off for now. I started charging it about 10 minutes ago so I'll see how long it takes to fully charge. My guess is about 8 hours. As I said it was on the charger as a spare untill I decided to stop charging it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts