Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike 1: 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with windshield, saddlebags, passenger backrest, and highway bar (I think that's what it's called). Has 19,000 miles on it, but was serviced each year at the shop where it is being sold and they have detailed records.

Bike 2: 2007 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with no extras. Has 1,900 miles on it and was last serviced 2 years ago. Owner says he rode it 2 or 3 times last year and it started just fine this week.

The prices are nearly identical. I don't really care about the windshield and, in fact, I don't like the aesthetic they give bikes. I do want the passenger backrest and saddlebags as I like the look they give bikes and they are functional in a way I desire. That means if I were to purchase the second bike I would be spending another $500 to add those items.

I have two questions, I suppose. Is there anything else I should be looking for on these two bikes when I go to visit them? The styling does not appear to be terribly different between the 2003 and 2007, is there anything that makes the 2007 better if everything else is equal?

Thanks for any help you might provide, I am really looking forward to joining the ranks of Shadow riders.

·
Registered
695 Posts
2007 was a transition year. Is the 2007 a chain drive or a soft drive? If a chain drive then they are the same. If a shaft drive, it will be fuel injected rather than dual carbs.

I would go with the newer model and then shop around for bags and sissy bar. You may be able to find what you want used for a lot less.

·
Registered
376 Posts
minor differences between the two. The 03 will be chain with dual carbs, the 07 will be shaft drive with a single carb.

If it was me, I'd go with the 4 year newer bike. 4 years of technology advances is often pretty significant. The 17000 fewer miles is a seller too.

You are correct that buying the newer bike will result in you having to drop more coin for the bags, backrest and bars but at least you'll be able to put the ones on there that you'll want and not have to make do with what someone else bought.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
if one is chain and one is shaft it makes the choice less about bags and sissy bar

Chain needs more maintenance with regular oiling and chain and sprocket replacement

But chain will have more power and you can play with the gearing to suit you....

But also carbed models can require carb cleans, jet changes if playing with the exhaust etc

Shaft is basically maintenance free but has a loss in power, injected is better starting in cold conditions and as long as the replacement exhaust has the sensor you dont have to remap etc.

Unless its an earlier 2007 and both are chain?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I'd go for the newer bike. There's a chance it is a shaft drive. The 03 till be a chain. The 07 will be a single carb, not fuel injected like the European model.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I think the purchase has been done, Sure I saw a post with the new 03?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.