Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this cover? Basically looking at it to cover the bike over the winter to keep the dust/dirt off of it... when I'm not riding it.:wink:

Wondering how well it fits a VLX since I have no windshield other than a Flyscreen.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
I never really understood the half cover. I mean, If your going to cover it, why cover just part of it??

You can't see any part of my bike when the cover is on. Keeps it all from getting dusty when I can't ride, not just part of it.
By the way, this cover cost me like $8.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never really understood the half cover. I mean, If your going to cover it, why cover just part of it??

You can't see any part of my bike when the cover is on. Keeps it all from getting dusty when I can't ride, not just part of it.
By the way, this cover cost me like $8.
Problem I have with a full cover is I haven't found one that doesn't trap moisture under it. That is why I'm not wanting a full cover.

My garage floor has absorbed salt in the concrete from vehicles parked in it before I started parking the bikes there. The salt in the concrete attracts moisture and sweats really bad if it warms up during the winter. That moisture evaporates and collects under a full cover.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Problem I have with a full cover is I haven't found one that doesn't trap moisture under it. That is why I'm not wanting a full cover.

My garage floor has absorbed salt in the concrete from vehicles parked in it before I started parking the bikes there. The salt in the concrete attracts moisture and sweats really bad if it warms up during the winter. That moisture evaporates and collects under a full cover.
DO NOT USE A COVER IN A GARAGE!!! I can't state that enough. Put a king size bed sheet on it. It is breathable and keeps the dust off so you don't have a moisture trap. It is soft and won't scratch your bike. It costs a fraction of the price of a cover, and folds smaller in summer.

Dingo.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DO NOT USE A COVER IN A GARAGE!!! I can't state that enough. Put a king size bed sheet on it. It is breathable and keeps the dust off so you don't have a moisture trap. It is soft and won't scratch your bike. It costs a fraction of the price of a cover, and folds smaller in summer.

Dingo.
Maybe I'll just go buy a flannel bedsheet then.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
A cheap fitted cotton sheet will suffice, i wouldn't go spending on egyptian cotton either, you're bike will thank you for a cheap cotton sheet as long as yoh don't put a MC cover on it.

Dingo.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A cheap fitted cotton sheet will suffice, i wouldn't go spending on egyptian cotton either, you're bike will thank you for a cheap cotton sheet as long as yoh don't put a MC cover on it.

Dingo.
I'm liable to go with cheap Chinese cotton (Walmart).:mrgreen:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine is parked in the garage right now covered with a fitted bedsheet. The fitted corners help it stay on. The sheet is soft on the bike's finish and folds really small when I take it off.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
MC covers are horrible for a bike. Prolonged use will cause the bike to rust and pit. You are almost better to leave your bike outside uncovered. As your bike is already covered inside albeit in a humid area you just need to keep dust off it. If you wash it before the new season you could also leave it uncovered. A MC cover keeps rain out but also doesn't allow moisture out. At least outside air circulation will remove some of the condensation, but as temperatures change more condensation is formed. Concrete warms very slowly and condensation builds up on objects on top of it. If they don't move (driving, riding) they rust. Extra moisture or a moisture trap is not needed.

Dingo.

Dingo.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
My garage floor is sealed with epoxy. My garage is also heated and airconditioned. It's pretty much like the bike being in the living room. I have never seen a drop of any moisture in the garage. I have seen garages where on a humid day, the whole floor gets soaked. Mine is nothing like that.

That is why I cover it. No moisture. Climate controled.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Actually good covers will allow moisture out. The cover I have(can't remember manufacture) has vents at the top which have covers over them to keep rain out. I haven't used it in years but I never saw any sign of condensation inside it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts