Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Show Chrome light bar for Christmas to put on my '06 Shadow Aero 750. I had it put on ASAP (should have done it myself) at my local Honda shop. The guy who was going to do my work said he was new to working on bikes (had been doing cages a while though) but had put on light bars before...no problem, I thought, this shop has a very good reputation.

Some time afterward as I was entering my driveway from the street (I have a big bump at the top of the drive) I heard an impact of some kind out front. When I parked I looked but noticed nothing. Ah - a mystery. A few days later I was cleaning the bike and noticed what looked like a cut on top of the fender. My thought was the mechanic dropped something on the fender and didn't mention it or didn't realize it. :? I also heard this impact a couple more times but I didn't make a connection. (By now you know where this is going don't you?) Last weekend I even put a nice decal over the "cut" to hide it and decorate the fender.

This morning, I was riding on a back street and hit a medium sized bump in the road. I heard "whack" from the front and a light bulb came on: The light bar was hitting the top of the fender.! :cry: Sure enough - there was a fresh cut/impact on the decal I had just put on. :x

To shorten this a bit -- I started looking over the installation really closely and found that some spacers about an inch long had been used under the top of the fork when installing the light bar. This had the effect of lowering the light bar toward the fender of course. I checked the instructions - it said to use the spacer included in the kit but the picture showed a very small spacer - nothing like the one that was actually used. The one installed was huge. What I ended up doing was removing the spacer altogether and using the existing bolts to attach the light bar directly underneath the headlight. No spacers needed or required and it raised the light bar far enough to avoid any impact. Problem solved - the windshield and everything fits perfectly and the lights didn't need re-aiming since I simply raised them without changing any angles.

I have no idea why these very long spacers were installed or even in the kit - just beats me. :roll: But the spacers are NOT needed for the Aero. I'm tempted to go ask the mechanic about this. I certainly can't accuse him of anything - I'd just like him to be aware of it for future installs. Like I said - wish I'd done it myself. But I'm really glad to get this fixed!

If you have this particular setup on the Aero - you might want to check it out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
RE: Light Bar

I love the looks of that light bar! My 04 Aero (very similar to your 06) has some weirdo light bar for a 1300 VTX that I'm about to trash since it makes my Aero look like it has severe FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) or something. When I got my light bar I really wanted it for performance and safety issues since I often found myself riding in canyons at night! I took the advice of my dealer (a Honda dealer no less) that it would look good and perform well but about all I can say is that it sure performs well but looks horrible without a tool bag hanging in between. I probably would have gone with a Cobra or something similar (like your's) but the dealer couldn't guarantee it would fit with my Memphis Shades windshield. I now see they were wrong. I guess it just goes to show that you can't always rely on the dealers to know everything and that education ALWAYS costs money. (I also should have looked here too).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Looks nice! I like that bar! Beautiful bike as well.

Also be sure to run a new circuit from the battery to power these up and include a fuse and relay. Adding extra accessories to your bikes already taxed system can cause catastrphic failures....usually starting at the starter switch.

Gonz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts