Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,357 Posts
Years ago a 200mm Metzler 880 but the 888's, can't say though pricey @ $300. 170/80 looks the best and won't give you any issue. Your fender will hide most of tire anyway. I used a 180/70 on my 06' Spirit but it was done to lower my overall gearing as it was 20mm less diameter. It looked skinny as the Spirit rear fender allowed more visual than the other 1100's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want the widest, tallest tire that will fit the stock swingarm without clearance issues. That’s all!

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,357 Posts
I want the widest, tallest tire that will fit the stock swingarm without clearance issues. That’s all!
Then I suggest you throw $300 to find out or go buy bike that can accommodate your visual what a rear tire should look/fit like. These are Shadow's not HD's though your model sounds pretty close but...;)

Or do a search as I did just now: tire upgrade, 200/70B/15

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I went with a bigger rear tire on my Phantom, for reasons that I won’t go into here, I really liked the “look” but the performance of the bike suffered. So this weekend I will be going back to the stock size.

These bikes are designed around the size of the stock tires, or when the parts were designed the stock size was about the best fit. There is a lot that goes into the final stock tire size.

With that said, you may be only able to increase by one or two sizes.

What you will need to do is to inflate you tire to recommended pressure and measure you clearance dimensions. Measure the closest dimension from the tire to the swingarm, double that measurement and add it to the width measurement of your current tire and that is the widest tire you can use.

The next step can be a bit more difficult. You will need to measure for overall diameter. Sit in your bike or add your weight to the drivers seat, if you ride “two up” then also account for the passengers weight on the passenger seat. Now measure from several places of the tire to the inside of the closest part of the fender, also watch for hardware and wires protruding from beneath the fender. You might want to also check the side clearance from the tire to the fender, it may be narrower than the swingarm, if it is then this would be your new width measurement.

Thales the height measurement and double it and add it to your current tire diameter and that will be the tallest tire you can use.

Next find a tire size comparator on the internet and input different tire sizes until you find one that fits inside of your measurements.

The above methods are the best way if done correctly to ensure that the tire you choose fits your bike.

Or just ask around, as you have done, and hope that the answers you get are honest and that the person giving the information has the exact same bike as yours. I am not being a smarta$$, this is just the way it is. Most people on this forum are honest and would not lead you in a direction that would lead to problems.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts