Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Check the kickstand safety switch as well. If the kickstand is a little loose and/or the switch is failing, it will cut the ignition.
I don't think it's losing power - it's starving for gas.

That is odd. Usually if the airbox is moded amd too much air gets in, it will bog down. If the fuel pump relay is bad, it may be gravity feeding and not enough fuel is pumping in so sudden throttle may cause it to starve.

Also, check the three yellow wires going from the Stator/rectifier as on the 02 shadow, the wireing harness is k own to melt from resistance and cause it to lose power. Lights will flicker and dim and gail once all three melt and corrode apart. This is under the seat and easy to find if you follow the rectifier wires to the harness clip. It will dry, crack and melt there.
No flickering of any lights - bike is completely on. I just found out today that the fuel pump was never changed. I believe the bike has the original pump. I called the shop where the person who sold the bike to me said he went to. They have no records of installing a fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Start simple.
I experienced the same issue.
It was a faulty kickstand switch.
Honest.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Begin with the stator wire connector
Unplug, badness can hide!
ALL the power from the stator goes thru those wires and connector
Mine had burn and melting

Note if the.cabin fan fails in your cage, it may have thiis same connector!

Shadow prob:
When the symptoms appear, open the gas cap..Yes while in motion
Far enough to vent but dont remove cap
This will rule out a vent problem.

Because its been apart,.check the vent line isnt pinched. Its possible

Nothing looks funny or an empty space?

The rubber connector boots carbs to intake and airbox get hard and leak.
The inside of boots have a raised ridge that part from each side must fit to.
The clamps on my 86vt1100 were special, to fit the boots a certain way
Ita been a few years since did this job.

Thought!
The when its warm points to a failimg fuel pump.
I do own an 86VT1100, but this advice is based on 94GL1500 Goldwing
Honda wanted $275 us dollars!! For a complete frame assembly with pump
That goesnin the tanik

Shadow.gurus, where is the fuel pump?

Goldwing Forums said a specific pump for a carbureted honda accord worked fine, got on Ebay for 20 dollars
FIXED the running problems.
Bought 2 for spares!

Conclusion
Ck the vent hose
Soak the fuel cap in container of seafoam overnight
Blow air thru vent to free any crud
Ck this forum for alternative pumps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be a stator. You keep saying 80 miles and I've heard that before to be a stator. Also, the petcock has a vacuum cut off from carb or intake manifold on single carbs. Since problem was addresses by previous owner my money is on a stator wiring opening up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My ACE did the same, turned out to be a crimped vent tube. Honda has Technical Bulletins on this issue. Check and possibly re-route the vent breather tube, Good Luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Could be a stator. You keep saying 80 miles and I've heard that before to be a stator. Also, the petcock has a vacuum cut off from carb or intake manifold on single carbs. Since problem was addresses by previous owner my money is on a stator wiring opening up.
Previous owner didn’t address this. The bike sat for years before he bought it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is my thought too...
When I spend $$$ at a shop, I kinda expect some kinda Warranty on their work...
When my Three Yellow wires connector did finally give up, the Bike ran really rough, almost like you describe...
I pulled into the gas pumps and examined things when I found it...
I`m with ya @gdb069
Dennis
Those three alternator wires should be ac volt tested +/_ a few volts then soldered not pluged ! If you buy a new stator be sure it's epoxy coted!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think it's losing power - it's starving for gas.

No flickering of any lights - bike is completely on. I just found out today that the fuel pump was never changed. I believe the bike has the original pump. I called the shop where the person who sold the bike to me said he went to. They have no records of installing a fuel pump.
I believe a full tanks of gas needs no fuel pump? Top it up & check?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was riding and my 2003 Honda Shadow Ace started sputtering until it died. It was acting like it’s cold or ran out of gas. I can start it with the choke out but it really doesn’t want to. As soon as I touch the throttle it dies. I’m told the whole fuel system is new including fuel pump and the carbs were cleaned shortly before I bought the bike (9 months ago?).

I brought the bike to a mechanic and he cleaned out the fuel line and flushed the carbs. He said the bike looked beautiful and he found nothing wrong. The bike starting running beautifully.

I picked the bike up and rode the bike yesterday for 70 miles with no issue. but today the same thing started happening. it began sputtering at around 20 mph and then kicked back in with power. this happened 2x. then at around 45 mph bike lost total power and died. i pulled over on the side of the road and it wouldn't start. messed with the choke and turned petcock off/on/reserve over and over and over and finally started and got power. i rode 1/4 mile and then died again. it wouldn't start. i then messed around with the petcock again and the bike turned on and had full power. the mechanic wants to change the petcock but the guy i bought the bike from changed it out 15 months ago with the OEM part..

Here's a video of me on the side of the road after i was able to turn the bike on

Petcock was my issue. Bike sat for a few years, so had to take off tank and found the filter basically disolved. Cleaned out tank, placed a new filter, cleaned carbs, new battery, replaced petcock. Petcock wasnt closing all the way was root cause for me. Nice looking bike ya got there btw!😉

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm thinking petcock too. I bought all the parts and managed to get the bike back to the mechanic yesterday. This isn't his full time job so i expect it to take a week or so. I'll keep everyone posted. Nice bike too!

Petcock was my issue. Bike sat for a few years, so had to take off tank and found the filter basically disolved. Cleaned out tank, placed a new filter, cleaned carbs, new battery, replaced petcock. Petcock wasnt closing all the way was root cause for me. Nice looking bike ya got there btw!😉 View attachment 292202

·
Registered
2003 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100
8 Posts
I was riding and my 2003 Honda Shadow Ace started sputtering until it died. It was acting like it’s cold or ran out of gas. I can start it with the choke out but it really doesn’t want to. As soon as I touch the throttle it dies. I’m told the whole fuel system is new including fuel pump and the carbs were cleaned shortly before I bought the bike (9 months ago?).

I brought the bike to a mechanic and he cleaned out the fuel line and flushed the carbs. He said the bike looked beautiful and he found nothing wrong. The bike starting running beautifully.

I picked the bike up and rode the bike yesterday for 70 miles with no issue. but today the same thing started happening. it began sputtering at around 20 mph and then kicked back in with power. this happened 2x. then at around 45 mph bike lost total power and died. i pulled over on the side of the road and it wouldn't start. messed with the choke and turned petcock off/on/reserve over and over and over and finally started and got power. i rode 1/4 mile and then died again. it wouldn't start. i then messed around with the petcock again and the bike turned on and had full power. the mechanic wants to change the petcock but the guy i bought the bike from changed it out 15 months ago with the OEM part..

Here's a video of me on the side of the road after i was able to turn the bike on

Hey Reigny. Check out my post here on the forum entitled "Got problems with intermittent or persistent engine stalling?" It is a rather long post about one of the many reasons for the problem you seem to be having, but stick with it till the end, my final recommendation is the heart of the matter. Hope it solves your problem, and you can benefit from what I've learned the hard way. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey Reigny. Check out my post here on the forum entitled "Got problems with intermittent or persistent engine stalling?" It is a rather long post about one of the many reasons for the problem you seem to be having, but stick with it till the end, my final recommendation is the heart of the matter. Hope it solves your problem, and you can benefit from what I've learned the hard way. Good luck.
I read it and really appreciate the advice! I'm going to have the mechanic also drain the tank and take a look. I'm in Florida where the weather doesn't fluctuate all that much. I am also a daily rider and the bike doesn't sit for more than a day or two. It's stored in a dry garage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Mechanic thinks the bike is fixed. I’m going to pick it up tomorrow. He replaced the petcock, fuel filter and fuel pump. He said the fuel pump was a no name aftermarket part and he thinks that is the culprit. I certainly hope so!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have you checked the rectifier wiring harnes? On my 02 Shadow vt750 its a known issue for some of the years. Resistance in the wiring builds up heat and eventually the 3 yellow wires melt and lose connection. I preventative cut out the harness and straight soldered mine years ago when i noticed it got extremely hot. I checked and sure enough 2 of the 3 wires were hanging by threads.

I recently got a new rectifier and going to make new 10AWG wires to solder in with the new harness.

I also added heat sinks to it. My own invention lol 😀 to hopefully dissipate heat.

This maybe your problem. The first thought is fuel system but if its this, you will see symptoms like loss of power, burnt plastic smell, headlights and instrument lights flickering at idle, battery not charging and finely wont start.

On my its 3 yellow wires that all come from the rectifier and connect via harness to the bikes yellow wiring. Usually under the seat near the tank is where they hide the harness. Im re-routing mine today now that i got the parts fixed. This is the second time in 5 years i have had it start doing this. Here is a pick of my new wiring harness with my DIY heat sinks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, old pump maybe giving out or if it has a fuel pump relay that could be going bad and so gravity is the only thing feeding it. Disregard my other message then. Hope its fixed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, old pump maybe giving out or if it has a fuel pump relay that could be going bad and so gravity is the only thing feeding it. Disregard my other message then. Hope its fixed.
so far so good. changed out pump, filter and petcock. mechanic didn't put the filter in its proper place in the clasp and one of the hoses got caught on the chain. Wasn't very fun when i saw gas leaking! Changed out the hose and we're good to go now.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts