Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My bike is a 2002 Honda Shadow 750 ace. It has no get up go.Starting with from a stop, releasing clutch and giving gas it seems to wants bog like before taking off. Then it runs good thru town, first thru 3rd maybe 4th. But I got to 50ish on interstate and it didn't have anymore, and wanted to slow down. I put new plugs in it, air filter, fuel filter, cleaned carb and jets look good. It gave me up to 60ish but still hasn't got nothing like to pass a slower vehicle safely. Please does anyone have any suggestions. I thank maybe clutches are bad but could it be more than that.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
What color were the plugs?
If too white it is too lean.
Or black is too rich.
Either will cause a lack of power.
Did you examine the rubber slide diapharms carefully?

·
Registered
1997 Honda VT 1100 C2 Shadow ACE
9 Posts
I agree with Swifty, check the carb diaphragms, make sure both carbs are opening up. Post pictures of the spark plugs if you don't have experience in reading them. If the clutch is slipping, the engine will rev up but the bike won't go. You would hear that.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Also jumper the fuel cut relay to verify it's not a problem, under right side cover, 3 wires: black. black-blue, and yellow-blue. Jump black to black-blue in harness plug, tape it up and go for a ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wanted first to thank you all for responding and helping. I'm sorry it's been a while since I got back to you. 7 kids each gotta have dad's time don't leave much time to work on things but wanted everyone to know, first thanks for the feed back it helped. The spark plugs altho I over looked at first but when it was asked what they looked like I went back. I first thought the guy I bought bike from or som bought bike from couldn't change the back plugs without the plug tool. And them 2 was pretty bad. This sent me away from the carbs which I had pulled out 3 different times to see what I missed. The forth time I was going to attempt to sync the carbs and when I took off the seat we spotted 2 wires that was just hanging from I thank it's the coral?? They have a sleeve over them is why I missed last few times. But I guess taking seat on and off it pushed wires out to be seen. I hooked these to wires and bam cleared it right up. See it's got a baffle exhaust I guess is what it's called and I was really thanking that sounded terrible and was taking power from bike. But when it cleared up, now it sounds great and ran awsome. I believe it's faster on jump than my 04 Harley Fatboy. I'm no mechanic at no means but I do dabble. And have had much luck at fixing cars bikes boats and small motors. But unfortunately the water pump went out on it as we was going to a nationals baseball game other day. My problem now is how can I tell what water pump to order? My title only says Honda shadow, but when you go looking at places they got vt750cd, vt750cdd,vt750ad and so on how do I which is correct pump to order? And it shows diagram then list like 15 pieces to order. Does anyone know what I'm talking bout? And again I really want to thank the ones that try to help me God bless.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
Look on the VIN plate on the steering head, it should tell which 750 it is.
Otherwise, many of those designations are Calif bikes and paint color schemes,etc.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,343 Posts
If you check the part numbers it would be my guess they are all the same part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts