Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had an issue today where my bike almost slid out from under me during a turn. There is a right turn in to my parents development where I have always felt my back tire slide a little even if I take it at as slow as possible with no throttle. Today I did my usual turn and expected a little slip but the bike almost went down on me. I caught it with my foot and kept it up and rode on through but I am wondering why this keeps happening. I don't have this issue in other areas with water, only there. What are some possible reasons for this? Should I try to stay more upright during the turn or just avoid it all together and go a different way (easy to do)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Maybe it's time to get some good tires on the ride........unless there is some slippery pavement where the water is, you might also not take the turn to tight if it's wet, you probably need to really look at what is going on at that particular turn with the road or...............

·
Registered
11,222 Posts
There is a stretch of road that I have to use to leave/return home and the same thing happens...bike and car. I think it's a grade or type of asphalt they use (?). If it gets cold enough at night in the fall, the road gets a ton of condensation on it (it gets damp) and if cold enough....it gets semi-almost icy.

Does that happen on 'your' road?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a stretch of road that I have to use to leave/return home and the same thing happens...bike and car. I think it's a grade or type of asphalt they use (?). If it gets cold enough at night in the fall, the road gets a ton of condensation on it (it gets damp) and if cold enough....it gets semi-almost icy.

It is So Cal so, no, it doesn't get icy. But it is the only place that I have encountered where the cement wash between the asphalt is slippery like that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It does happen in my car too though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I dropped my bike (years ago) at a parking lot that had asphalt. It was a very old parking lot, on base which hasn't been repaved or whatever they call it for asphalt, in a very long time and it looks smooth. It's fine when it's dry, but that one dewy morning after duty I turned left, well, everything was turning left, including the bike but we kept going straight.. needless to say I low sided broke a turn signal left me with a hole in my overalls and pride. Funny thing was almost everyone who saw it in the dental building rushed out to see if I needed help, I just jumped up collected some pieces of my turn signal waved and took off with my bike before anyone recognized me :p hehehe

It might just be a really old part of the road that hasn't been maintained in years, which depending on the traffic may have made the surface smooth. From my experience anyway...

Oh yah.. better to just avoid it..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe not hit it at an angle if possible. Try to get more straight on with the bad area. Not there so can't tell.
My driveway is gravel and the large stones as well cause of the incline and water erosion, when I hit my drive I better be going straight or else it will go down and I can't go real slow cause I have to get up a hill, feels like a real heavy dirt bike at this point.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maybe it is a slimy growth from it being constantly wet..

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have a corner where I am that is ALWAYS slippery when wet. My brother actually wrote off a car in a light rain on the corner when it slid into the curb. too much damage to the suspension to bother to repair. It almost seems like there was a oil spill at some point in the past and the water brings it out. Avoid it.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I going to take a wild guess and say that there is someone that lives in that area with a massive oil/trans fluid leak that stops at that corner everyday on his way to and from work...

Probably just the right circumstances with road crown... oil build up... drainage issues and loose dirt.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Is the grade of the asphalt such that you are putting the bike at a steeper angle than you realize?

Even though they are new tires (they are broken in, right?), they may not be "good" new tires. As mentioned above, what air pressure are you running, and what is recommended?

If your tires are not the issue, it MUST be the pavement. Sandy, dirty, oily, bad grade, whatever.

If you can't figure it out, try to avoid it (as mentioned above).

Dan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.