Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I used to be a free lance wood sculpter.

It's been a while since I've taken on any kind of big wood projects---But, I've got this little man hanging around waiting for paw-paw to make him something special.

I've told a few of you about my project, (A ROCKING CHOPPER) and some wanted to see any progress that I make.

Well, here it is. It's all wood, and the rest SHOULD be all wood also. We'll see, I still haven't figured out how to make the handle bars wooden and still be able to stand up to a little boys demands for strength. The tank and frame center are mocked up and drying right now.

So far I've spent between 15-20 hours on it I guess, I haven't kept very good track.Boogaloo will be 1 on Feb 3rd, I'm hoping to have this done before he turns 2 !!!! :shock: ha ha ha

Well wish me luck,
Al

P.S.- when it's done, if all goes well, it will look like the one below on a 1/2 scale.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
That is some nice freakin work there Big AL!!!

Gonz

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Big Al,
I am also a wood worker and in the past I have needed to bend some wood for some of my projects. You can build a steam bender with a 6' piece of pvc pipe (I believe mine is 5" diam.) put a T in the middle of it that reduces down to the size of a rubber hose that will fit in the end of a tea pot, then cap both ends and drill a hole for the steam to escape, then screw a piece of hardware on one end to allow you to remove that cap easily. You should be able to make a form the shape of ape hangers and then steam strips to the shape of the form, after they have dried you can glue them together and then shape them with a router to make them like handle bars.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
instygator said:
Big Al,
I am also a wood worker and in the past I have needed to bend some wood for some of my projects. You can build a steam bender with a 6' piece of pvc pipe (I believe mine is 5" diam.) put a T in the middle of it that reduces down to the size of a rubber hose that will fit in the end of a tea pot, then cap both ends and drill a hole for the steam to escape, then screw a piece of hardware on one end to allow you to remove that cap easily. You should be able to make a form the shape of ape hangers and then steam strips to the shape of the form, after they have dried you can glue them together and then shape them with a router to make them like handle bars.
That's a cool idea, thanks!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
No really Al...who did you pay to do the work for you???

That looks great Al. Good luck on the project. I know it will be great coming from you.

Joe

·
Registered
749 Posts
You're about to make a little man really happy and he'll have something to hand down to his kids and grandkids. Thats some terrific wood working you've got going there.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chopper Scott said:
That is cool Big Al!!! I didn't know you had any talents. :lol: :lol: You'll have to keep us posted. Later
hehehe! Scott, you'll have to get Al to "show" you some of his other talents! I hear Patty has pictures!

Brian

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks cool there Al. 8)

Just 1 question. How are you gunna make it do the BRMMMM BRMMMMM noise? :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I call that "Craftmanship" Big Al! Great job! I know he will really like it and will treasure it for years to come. Be sure to post a photo of it with it's finished!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Very Nice! I am thinking maybe the handlebars could be dragbars to handle
the little fellows wheelies. Or maybe use some small bicycle handlebars...if using steel isn't blasphemous.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Great job Al. I'd go with round stock (1" dowel) for the handlebars. Just make dragbars on some longer wooden risers. That should look cool too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
That is really cool! 8) Just a couple of questions: 1) will he have to wear a helmet when riding and 2) are you gonna put a windshield on it? :shock: :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
sweet Big Al. Cleveland harely has a bike made out of wood. it was way cool. Don't know how close ya are to Cleveland to check it out and see how the bars were done.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Looking good so far. Good luck with the handle bars.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts