Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Honda shadow spirit. So I was adjusting my a/f screws because my bike was running too lean, so I turned it out 3 turns out from being fully closed. I then start up my bike, with the choke fully open, but as I turn off the choke the rpms start to drop until it completely dies. I then put the a/f screws back to factory settings which was 2 1/4 turns out from close and it still dies when I close the choke. Before I started adjusting the screws, I would start the bike with choke fully out on cold starts and then immediately close the choke right after and it was fine. Please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,422 Posts
Did you slow down the idle speed when you changed the mixture settings originally?
Maybe check the plugs for fouling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you slow down the idle speed when you changed the mixture settings originally?
Maybe check the plugs for fouling.
no only thing I adjusted were the mixture screws so that’s why I’m confused on why when I went back to factory settings it didn’t go back to normal. Plugs looks fine also.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
184 Posts
Turn up the idle speed to see if it changes. Usually, when turning out pilot screws, the idle speed increases a bit. When nothing at all happens, either the pilot jets are clogged, the idle speed is much too low, or you probably need a bigger pilot jet. Did you make changes on air filter and exhaust?
When the motor is running too lean (white or light spark plugs) it needs more than turning out the pilot screw. They have a certain effect on lower rpm but not really (some say jes) over the full range of rpm.
Therfore, you need to re-jet the carbs with different main jets (affect mainly wot), different needles or at least a higher position of the needles, and the float level has to be correct as well. A wrong float level, e.g. too low=too lean, afffects the entire rpm range as well. The needle shape (Dynojets are tapert) and position affect the widest range of rpm during normal use.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,215 Posts
I think @ShadowFlo is on the right track.
My guess is there was some crud build up in the low speed passages and your change broke it loose clogging things.
The pilot jet is a tiny hole and it doesn't take much to block it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts