Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'3" and 235 lbs. I have a 07 Honda shadow spirit 750 right now. I'm looking to get something more my size. Honda fury maybe but not sure. Any suggestions and why? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,357 Posts
Depending on your inseam, I'd say bypass Shadow's and go to a VTX/Fury line. Power wise a 1300 VTX-R has the same PTWR as the 1100 Ace Tourer. Larger framed for better seating ergonomics.
I'd suggest a Valkyrie but I'm @ at 6', normal build, & 33" inseam I'm very comfortable but the "standard" seating due to the motor being in area, their limited w/o mod's either but overall the Valk fulfills all other criteria 200%.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on your inseam, I'd say bypass Shadow's and go to a VTX/Fury line. Power wise a 1300 VTX-R has the same PTWR as the 1100 Ace Tourer. Larger framed for better seating ergonomics.
I'd suggest a Valkyrie but I'm @ at 6', normal build, & 33" inseam I'm very comfortable but the "standard" seating due to the motor being in area, their limited w/o mod's either but overall the Valk fulfills all other criteria 200%.
Thanks, I'm leaning toward the fury, I'm kinda digging the chopper look and well it's a Honda so I know it will run great

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
673 Posts
roadsnakes Every time you post pics of your bike, I think...that sure is a purdy bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm 6'2", 235 lbs with a 34" inseam and I ride a 97 Shadow ACE VT1100C2 with floorboards. The only riding comfort mods I've done is installed an aftermarket seat, 10" apes and a mini police wind screen. But the few times I take a peak at my reflection while riding (who hasn't done this?) I look like a Russian circus bear riding a bicycle. For example, my knees, while seated, is higher than my waist but I feel comfortable. Every time I think of getting another bike (I want a 1500cc Valkyrie sooooo bad) I ride my current Shadow and all is forgotten. My Shadow is all the motorcycle I really need.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind something newer (something with fuel injection) like a Fury. That reminds me, I gotta go for another ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm 6'2", 235 lbs with a 34" inseam and I ride a 97 Shadow ACE VT1100C2 with floorboards. The only riding comfort mods I've done is installed an aftermarket seat, 10" apes and a mini police wind screen. But the few times I take a peak at my reflection while riding (who hasn't done this?) I look like a Russian circus bear riding a bicycle. For example, my knees, while seated, is higher than my waist but I feel comfortable. Every time I think of getting another bike (I want a 1500cc Valkyrie sooooo bad) I ride my current Shadow and all is forgotten. My Shadow is all the motorcycle I really need.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind something newer (something with fuel injection) like a Fury. That reminds me, I gotta go for another ride.
I think the fuel injection is selling me and the length of the wheel base.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,153 Posts
Almost anything can fit you with the right modifications. I’m 6’3” and I ride a 750 comfortably with my mods.

If you get a Fury look up the front end wobble, that’s what I hear about most from Fury owners.

Reactions: CJustin

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
I think the fuel injection is selling me and the length of the wheel base.
As Froth mentioned the front end wobble, this could be inherent of bikes with more than average raked front ends and using Dunflop tires could be the issue though Metzler was listed as an option in 2013. Regardless even a hint of wobble problems I would avoid the purchase. Also FI can leave you on the side of the road where I in my life time never had carbs do this. Had a 06' Vulcan 1600 FI and as God as my witness 50% of the OEM manual was dedicated to the fuel system. Low speed handling will take a bit to get used to. Turning around would take as much thought as I use to park my Fat Lady. :LOL: :p

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also FI can leave you on the side of the road where I in my life time never had carbs do this. Had a 06' Vulcan 1600 FI and as God as my witness 50% of the OEM manual was dedicated to the fuel system. Low speed handling will take a bit to get used to. Turning around would take as much thought as I use to park my Fat Lady. :LOL: :p
How fortuitous. My Shadow is creeping up on 60,000 miles and I'm thinking it might be about time to get another motorcycle. Looking at getting something newer with FI (and spare parts availablity) I saw 2 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomads on my local Criagslist. The Nomad has a bigger engine and heavier than my Shadow but the MPG are roughly the same.

Is the only negative about FI this it is not user serviceable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm only 5'10" but at 245#, and I didn't have any trouble with my '03 Spirit 750, until I made modifications to the pipes and intake, and added a huge windshield. However, I didn't do the timing mod, which may have helped. I also installed extensions to the forward controls, and a Mustang seat, which also helped, some. I was going to install another set of forward controls, that would move everything forward another couple inches, which may help you in your situation.

If you're dead set on changing to another bike, and want to stick with Honda, I would suggest a VTX. You can either get the 1300 or 1800 version; the 1300 is lighter and more nimble handling/performance-wise, and the 1800 is heavy, though it has TONS more power. It's all about what YOU want or think you need.

If you're not stuck on getting a Honda, I got a HD Dyna, and LOVE it!! It has TONS of power, with the 96" motor, and the 6-speed tranny makes it so you're not looking for another gear on the highway, and it handles almost as well as my Spirit 750, though it's a bit heavier. It's plenty comfy, too, after I changed the seat, and went from the mid-controls to forward controls, and added a highway bar to really stretch out.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
How fortuitous. My Shadow is creeping up on 60,000 miles and I'm thinking it might be about time to get another motorcycle. Looking at getting something newer with FI (and spare parts availablity) I saw 2 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomads on my local Criagslist. The Nomad has a bigger engine and heavier than my Shadow but the MPG are roughly the same.

Is the only negative about FI this it is not user serviceable?
Oh its serviceable but are you willing to take the time? What little I worked on it, it's sure not easy like a Valkyrie which is the easiest bike I EVER serviced. As a solo ride, very comfortable thus a Nomad is a very worthy cruiser as they come with a lot features you won't get with most metric cruisers. The ergo's on it was comparable to the 1100 Spirit which is too small for our needs. It was on my list in 2013 when I bought the Valk but still wanted one so we got it on whim in 2017. Gov't handouts last year made it possible to sell it pretty quickly as the bike was in very good shape.

BTW 37 mpg. at best and 91 octane. 6 carb "FI", 37-41 mpg. and loves 87 octane. ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well, seeing a Honda Fury got me motivated to get my M1 endorsement. That was 3 and a half years ago. The Stryker is not a subtle looking ride, IMO. Kinda looks like it's on steroids.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts