Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's hard to diagnose this over a thread but looking for some suggestions.

I recently upgraded my 96 600 VLX with open exhaust and open velocity stacks. I shimmed my needles, upgraded my main jets to 125 and upgraded my pilot jets. I also replaced the intake boots. The problem would be commonly diagnosed as clogged pilot jet but they are brand new. I'm pretty confident no vacuum leaks either. Bike starts up with or without choke. As soon as I give it throttle it dies. I'm not sure what else it could be. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,487 Posts
Velocity stacks have caused a Lot of headaches. It is an experiment game with each engine.
Some guys have put some restriction in the stack, and it helped.
There was a discussion one time about the rubber mount of the stacks blocking off the air chamber on the throat of the carb and that affects the slide.

Reactions: Watsgr1

·
Registered
18,130 Posts
Most of these Bikes need a restrictive airbox, You MAY have caused the problem by opening up the air flow...
Yes, it IS thattaway on these, I dunno Why???

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,119 Posts
I bet you it is loud and almost sounds fast or it did on the internet.

You need to go up on the main jets until it runs right at full throttle and then worry about the carb's other circuits.
I don't know, but I'd try the good old 20 Keihin numbers over the stock size and see what happens.
That will probably make an improvement and tell you something if you look at the plug colors and patterns.
On the other hand it could be something else and merely a coincidence with the changing to those damned screened stacks. (-;

This should help with the tuning:

If you get absolute frustrated with the tuning of the carbs and have some extra coin the Factory Pro Stage 3 carb kit is what I would recommend.
You will still have to play around, but it will be a whole lot easier with actual replacement jet needles and an assortment of jets.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,481 Posts
Just for future reference and anyone who might come along and read this. I don't know if the OP did it this way or not but I would recommend when doing something of this scope that you make one mod at a time and make sure everything still works correctly. Doing everything at once only confuses things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts