Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 2005 Honda Shadow 750. I have been riding it for a few days and never really got it over 50 that much. Today I took it on a nearby highway and it started to bog down when I gave it more throttle above 50 mph. Got off the highway and it was backfiring and not responding to throttle well at all. It would give power in jerks and spouts and when downshifting to 3rd and 2nd it started getting real bad. While in first gear or neutral it would just stall. I pulled the choke to see if it would help get it started and it did get me home (I lived nearby), but off choke it starts to give the same symptoms just described. I have ridden it perhaps 50 miles in the past 2 days around my area and it seemed fine, but those were backroads. It only seems to be exhibiting this behavior once up to speed. After the bike has been sitting for a little while I can start it and drive around my neighborhood at 15-30 mph seemingly fine. Only at 45-50 does this behavior seem to kick in.

Once I got home I checked for leaks and other things people suggested and didn't find any vacuum line problems that I could see.

>> I did notice that the carburetor appears to be missing a cable. I have tried to find what the top cable is on the carburetor but haven't found any schematics specifically addressing this cable. I am hoping someone on here can identify what the top cable on the throttle wheel is for and if that might be my problem (I'm thinking it is)
Picture of the throttle wheel showing the cable is missing:
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Bumper

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,618 Posts
That throttle is normally a two-wire ‘push-pull’ system, more for smoothness and easier operation than anything else. If the single cable gives full operation, it’s fine for the moment. Especially if you only have one cable run coming from the throttle on the handlebars! As for the bike, it sounds like it’s getting starved for fuel at higher flow rates. Maybe something clogging inside the carbs. As a first thing to try, run a can of Seafoam through a tank of fuel or two, and give the bike small spurts of full throttle to bring it just up to speed, and then get out of it before it starts breaking down, If you don’t see noticeable improvement, it’s time to learn some carburetor maintenance and cleaning techniques! 😄

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not adding a lot of value here, but I'd worry about why it has the missing 'push' cable.
From the picture I can see everything is present but the inner cable itself. May have broken of at a certain point ?
I myself would try to get my hands on a new set of throttle cables and replace them.
this wont solve the issue though, sounds like a carb problem as stated by previous poster.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,546 Posts
Actually your "pull" cable is missing and as for fuel situation, add twice the amount of Seafoam to a near empty tank and add fresh gas. You're fortunate that it run's to be able to do this procedure.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,434 Posts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts