Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding the other night, and out of the blue it started acting like it was running out of fuel, so I switched to the reserve tank, but it continued chugging along, not letting me get above about 30km/h (~18mi/h). Filling up the petrol made no difference.

After playing around with it, the problem seems to be to do with the power. It will start and work up until a certain point (about 40km/h on flat ground) and then start cutting out like it doesn't have enough petrol.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what could be done to fix it?

EDIT: I ride a 2005 VT750C

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Keep It Simple,,,check all four plug wires(fully connected to plugs?), check battery connections(not just snug, tight) and go from there, also the better wrenches(mechanics here) aren't up yet, they'll chime in with more I'm sure.

·
Registered
16,794 Posts
After checking Fire at the plugs, consider these;
Fuel filter clogged???
Fuel pump working??
Just for kicks and grins, Check fuel flow by removing the hose from the petcock and drain into a container...
EDIT::
Hopefully those with experience will wake soon, Winter weather helps keep them inside at the computer ;)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Check the simple stuff first, but it sounds like a classic fuel filter.

Stock bike? Have you changed anything lately? How many miles and when was your last tune up?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the simple stuff first, but it sounds like a classic fuel filter.

Stock bike? Have you changed anything lately? How many miles and when was your last tune up?
Stock bike. Nothing has been changed recently.

It's at about 40,000kms (~25,000mi), the tuning I just do when each individual component needs it. It probably is getting about time I do some more maintenance.

It's 3am here, so I'll check the above suggestions a bit later.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Step one. Don't jump to the typical "fuel system issues" hysteria yet. While the issue may involve the fuel system, the cause is most likely ELECTRICAL, if there were NO prior performance symptoms. Start with the basics, battery and fuses and switches (i would count the petcock as a switch in this case, but mainly conserned with Run/stop and key switches), and components (ie pump).
IF the filter is dirty and changing it fixes this issue... Plan to do a servicing and cleaning of the carbs, soon. The bike did NOT struggle on you because the filter was dirty. It is struggling because the filter let some debris get into the carberators.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If he has no problems starting and idling, there is nothing wrong with the electronics or power delivery. He is having issues only when he gives it throttle, which basically points to fuel issues. The 2005 VT750C has no fuel filter, all it has is a fuel screen connected to the petcock.
Either way he has to remove the petcock to service the fuel screen.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
is your tank vent kinked? although it should work fine for a while after filling

Choke stuck on and running rich then fouling plugs

Plugs due for a change (they can drop out when hot if stuffed)

crap in the carb

Check the fuel flow from the tank (needs vacuum to run)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just as a follow-up. I have no idea if this is a smart idea or not, but I opened up the air filter casing and sprayed some carby cleaner into the carburetor from there, some dust seemed to come out of it. I then put it back together, tested the bike and it all seemed to work fine! So I guess the problem seemed to be just some dust and dirt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts