Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an out of state road trip coming up next month, and am concerned about bike security. Anyone ever have problems with people messing with your bike while you were away from it in public, like ata resturant, hotel, etc.?

I've put a lot into my bike during the winter, and unfortunately bike accessories are just as easy to remove as they are expensive.

Precautions I've planned are:
--Always take helmet in with me, no matter what.
--I have Saddleman bags that can be locked. Not foolproof, but my discourage a casual thief.

Experiences and suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I guess I must trust people to much. When we go on our trips (or weekend rides) I just lock the fork lock and call it good. I sometimes leave my helmet hang on the handlebars (if I have to wear one)
When we stop for the night at motels, my bike gets covered, so nobody actually knows what's all under the cover (ya, they know it's a bike) I figure if they can't see it, they are less likely to mess with it. >PD<

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I've never had any problems with people messing with it, but I make
sure ahead of time of the areas that I will be staying or eating.
I always take my gear in with me.
I lock my forks and leave it in gear.

When eating at a restaurant, I try to park as close to the windows of the
restaurant as I can and I try to sit where I can see the bike from inside.

The three times I've rode on over night trips where a hotel was a necessity,
I carried a moving blanket with me (harbor freight, $5.99).
I put the blanket down on the carpet in the hotel room and roll the bike
inside on the blanket, so I don't mess up the hotels carpet.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
OH MY GOD....I can just see Litnin trying to climb three flights of stairs just to get his bike inside a motel room! I think I've heard it all now!!!! LOL Do you lock your wife in the closet too?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
We travel a lot, no problems, although in Australia I found someone sitting on a rental, but you can't read about it here because the posting was pulled - political incorrectness and all.....but some peoples have no respect for property.

Otherwise, park it close to the Harley's and you are golden. Also we cover our bikes with a cheap walmart motorcycle cover.....out of sight out of mind and keeping the dew off is not a bad thing.

Add a chain and lock or any lock to deter the casual thief and you are done. Hondas cruisers are pretty safe - hell they ain't worth much to begin with........ :oops:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
PainterD said:
OH MY GOD....I can just see Litnin trying to climb three flights of stairs just to get his bike inside a motel room! I think I've heard it all now!!!! LOL Do you lock your wife in the closet too?
LOL! Nope, I make her stay outside in the parking lot! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
871 Posts
I lock the fork and I also have a Master Lock that I put on the rear disk brake. It is a very old lock and will fit right through one of the holes. I also have one of those walmart covers to keep it out of sight.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I was searching around on the Goldwing forum about this very question, and from what I can gather there, two schools of thought prevail:

1) That's what insurance is for
2) Take reasonable precautions (lock it; cover it; park under light) but then stop worrying about it because Honda bikes don't have that high a theft rate.

Note: that's as compared to H-D. An exception: sport bikes are hot tickets and will disappear regardless of the brand, apparently.

I understand the sentiment behind #1, but I'm not totally comforted by it. Sure, insurance will pay on theft, but only up to blue book. Still, that's better than a check for $0.00.

Short of me wheeling my bike into the hotel room -- you really do that litnin? I'm both amazed and impressed! -- I think #2 is the avenue I'll take.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hadn't considered a cover before. Seems like a good idea, so I'll order me one.

Of course there is concern of the whole bike getting stolen, but the little things would be so simple to get, and might not attract anyone's attention. My Memphis Shades windshield can be removed in just a matter of seconds. Same for my handlebar clock, mirrors, fender rails, SEAT.

·
Registered
628 Posts
locks

caster, you asked for suggestions:

In travelling, writer your bike key number somewhere in MOM; if you have road coverage, enter the provider's number in your cell phone; when you pay for gas, a restaurant bill, etc., and you are using cash, never, ever bring out your roll of bills for some unsuspected thief to see.

Jim

·
Registered
303 Posts
My experience with thieves is mostly they will take only the easy.
Kids/punks will rarely know jackshit about your add-ons, or what they cost or how easy they are to remove.
We empty saddlebags.
Lock forks.
Use cable lock on rear wheel, it does not matter if it goes to some post or just air, the effect is seen, hmmm... this bike is locked.
Cover with a cheap bike cover.
Mostly out of site, out of most minds.
Statistics prove that a simple sign on your house that says something about an alarm system will turn most burglars away. Place a few stickers in some windows, and you are most likely ok.
Same with bike, make it look protected, and most likely you are ok.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
caster said:
I have an out of state road trip coming up next month, and am concerned about bike security. Anyone ever have problems with people messing with your bike while you were away from it in public, like ata resturant, hotel, etc.?

I've put a lot into my bike during the winter, and unfortunately bike accessories are just as easy to remove as they are expensive.

Precautions I've planned are:
--Always take helmet in with me, no matter what.
--I have Saddleman bags that can be locked. Not foolproof, but my discourage a casual thief.

I have good insurance and a $5000 gear and modification rider. I don't worry about it.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
TucsonDon said:
I understand the sentiment behind #1, but I'm not totally comforted by it. Sure, insurance will pay on theft, but only up to blue book. Still, that's better than a check for $0.00.
Most insurers (and in some cases, finance companies) will offer a rider to adjust the payout above book to replacement or fair-market cost. I'd look at that if it concerns you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.