Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
My church is considering doing a bike show as a community outreach. The idea is to have a local gathering where folks can show off their bikes and the public can come and see them rather than have a bunch of mfrs/dealers and I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as far as how many awards, judging divisions, door prizes, programs or other things they have come across that they liked. Just remember its a church so having Hooter Girls giving out prizes won't fly.... :D

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have read about folks doing a "blessing of the bikes". I don't know what that entails, but it sounds pretty neat.

If there is a "spiritual destination" in your area, a ride to it might be cool. About 40 miles from here we have the largest cross in the western hemisphere. Something like that would be a great deal.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We won't do a ride because of liability issues and Indiana ABATE with the help of the CMA does a bike blessing in early spring and we'd rather not step on anyone's terrirtory. Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I show my Valkyrie at 15-20 shows a year usually. Been showing bikes for a few years now. I have helped out at a few including one here for a church. Can't speak for everyone but this may help some.

I would have different classes...i.e. Stock, tourer, dresser, custom and sport bike. Some shows also have an antique class but normally few if any show up. I would also have a separate class for metric and american (Harley)....lots of regular entrants at shows that don't have harleys will not participate unless there is a metric class.
Judging can be done two ways. You can have a few different people with at least some knowledge of bikes judge on a 1-10 scale for various things such as paint, chrome, cleanliness, upholstery (seat and bags if any) and overall appearance for example. Have them each judge each bike independently, not as a group. Take their score cards for each bike, add up the numbers and that will give you a winner, usually total points for each bike. The other way is to have a "peoples choice" judging. Hand out slips of paper with each class on them to entrants and spectators. When a bike is entered, assign a number to it in the appropriate class. The peoples choice is the number of the bike in each class written on the paper. have a box for the ballots. At the end of judging, total up the number of votes for each bike in each class....you have the winner for each class. Try to have all the stock, custom, tourers etc. park in the same area for judging, much easier for the people.
For awards I would award at least a first and second place in each class. If you can afford it, a third place is nice also. You can award a decent wall plaque or a small trophy with 1st, 2nd, 3rd on it along with the show info. I can email you pics of some of mine if this is confusing.
As far as door prizes, thats up to you. I would go to local merchants and ask for donations. take a flyer for the show with you. Go to motorcycle shops, auto parts places, restaurants, fast food places etc. You'll be surprised how many will contribute some merchandise or a gift certificate etc...I'd go as many places as I could find. Worst they can say is no. Have everyone write theirs name on paper, give out door prize tickets, hand out numbers etc to draw winners. Space it out some. If you have some nice things, people will stay in hopes of winning.
Are you going to charge an entry fee for show participants? If so you will have to determine how much. It will help defray cost of trophies, food, drink etc..most in this area (NE Indiana) are between $5-10 just as a point of reference.
I am sure there is more but this hopefully will get you started. If i can help in any way with more info, pics or anything else, email or PM me and I'll do whatever I can. Good luck with the show....Bob

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
We have had one at our church for several years now, it is part of an event called Funfest. Go to www.kingswaychurch.org and email Shawn Tully he will be able to direct you to the person that sets it up

·
Registered
34 Posts
Participated in the "make a Wish" Mall Show brought together by another GWRRA Chapter in our State. Instead of giving out trophies, they took used Motorcycle tires and cut it and used the 6 pieces they got out of it as their award. Had a badge or sticky backed emblem fixed to it to show, first place, best of show etc. Our bikes got sponsors, local dealers, restaurants or family, framed a form stating who sponsored that bike (free advertising for the sponsor). Just an idea. Crystal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts