Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got caught in the rain again today walk out to my bike and it starts raining the first turn I need to make is at a light I have green so approach the turn at like 15mph when I turn the back wheel starts to slide and then the front starts to go my feet hit the road so quick I didn't even think what I was doing thank god I am not riding a bike that is to big for my size my feet where like sleds on the slick road but I was able to keep the bike up, stop and make it thru the intersection ,I wasn't going fast but obviously was going to fast for the road conditions, that little bit of oily crap on the road mixed with some fresh rain it's like ice .Have a great weekend everyone

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discovered exactly that my first rain ride. It sucked. Now I probably look like a little old woman negotiating intersections in the rain, but... wait! I AM a little old woman!! OK then ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discovered exactly that my first rain ride. It sucked. Now I probably look like a little old woman negotiating intersections in the rain, but... wait! I AM a little old woman!! OK then ;)
:-D I take my turns in the rain like a little old woman too, and I'm a young man.

But still, glad you're ok PA Shadow, getting caught in the beginning of rain always sucks.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
At my age I simply get off the roads when it starts to rain or when rain is forcast. No longer willing to get in there with you younger folks when conditions are less than optimal.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I rode to work one day last Winter in 17 degree weather with snow building up on the windshield.

I hit a patch of black ice that was about 100 feet long and 3 feet wide at 50 mph. I was so scared my knees locked against the tank and I didn't even twitch. The only skidmark left was the one in my shorts.

Take care out there.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
I have rode in the rain a few time's soon as the road looks wet I slow down. stopping gets to me more

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I hate the rain, But if I'm out and it starts to rain I'll just pull over until the roads get rinsed off of all that oily crap that lifts right up in the first few minutes of rain, Not like sitting there will get me any wetter, so i wait then slowly make my way to me destination, When it first starts is when it's the slickest so waiting a few is a safety measure for me.

Dauntae

·
Registered
201 Posts
If I didn't ride in the rain I wouldn't be able to ride hardly at all down here lately. Take it slow and you're fine

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been able to ride to work everyday since april only get wet going home, the first couple minutes after the starts are the worst like someone said till the crap washes away, thanks for the well wishes getting home safe is all that matters wet clothes dry!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Many years ago I was almost home when it started sprinkling, first time in weeks. So that meant the roads were very oily.

I tried to make a simple left turn onto my street at a "crawling" speed, but it didn't matter, the rear tire went out from under, and I "gently" dropped the bike onto the left side.

Problem was, my left leg was under the bike and my Levi's wern't enough to keep the bike from burning the h3ll out of my leg.

Since then, I do everything I can to avoid riding in the rain. I just pull over and wait till it's gone. When I'm on the bike, it's always a pleasure cruse, never a commute where I 'Have to get there".

I admire all the riders who brave the elements on a regular basis, but I'm and old dude who's gonna die soon enough anyway, so I don't want to push my chances of "buying the farm" any more than I have to.

Therefore, the Shadow stays in the garage unless the forcast is for sunny days only!

·
Registered
561 Posts
:wink:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Ya, I've been caught in a few downpours while under way. Just take it slower than you even think you need too. As has been said... the first few minutes is the worse. As far as weight... The Ace is light... only 550 lbs or so and can be manipulated pretty easily... The Valkyrie in the other hand, is around 1000 lbs with me and the bling on it...:shock: That can be a little trickier... Although she does handle nicely and is nimble for a big 6 cyl.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Got caught in a downpour one night coming home. Hydroplaned a couple times, Didn't really enjoy that.
Going up to Yellowstone from doubois the road is just mud. When they do road work they take it all the way down then start over. Anyway the previous night they got a huge storm on the mountain. Rain, hail, the works. I was on my shadow and Joe was on a Valk. The "road" was slick as snot. That was probably the worse I'd ever seen. We made it about a mile then turned around and went in through Cody.

·
Registered
756 Posts
When i was in high school back in the 70's all i had was a Yamaha Enduro to get around on, it didnt have the stock tires, had knobbys on it, riding in the rain on that thing was really sketchy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts