Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get some ideas here. On my way in this morning the bike started to back fire then and die around 80 MPH. I pulled off the road and everything was completely dead. I reached down to the key and just barley touched it and the lights came back on. I figured it was just lose so I fired it up and off I went. Ended up in bumper to bumper traffic 5 miles down the road. That took 30 minuets to get thru but the bike was fine. When we got back to highway speed of 80 the bike did the same thing after a couple of miles. Again I pulled over but this time I still had lights. Fired it back up got off the interstate and road 15 more minuets to work at 55 MPH and the bike ran fine. I put it in natural at work and tried wiggling the key to see if my first instinct was correct but nothing happened. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
354 Posts
"I reached down to the key and just barley touched it and the lights came back on."
I've seen this happen twice on four-cylinder Goldwings. The contacts get loose and a little sloppy and behave exactly as you describe. If you're good you may be able to dis assemble the switch, clean and retension the springs. Relubricate with a good grease. It may however be time to replace the switch. I've done it both ways.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If your ING switch is not acting correctly would start from BATT and work your way thru to IGN switch..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Since you say your bike backfired, I am suspecting a fuel delivery problem at WOT. Check your petcock diaphragm. If there's a tear or a kink in the diaphragm your bike might not be getting enough fuel to sustain that speed.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Since you say your bike backfired, I am suspecting a fuel delivery problem at WOT.
Doesn't matter what else is going on, a dead bike (as in no electrical power) is not related to fuel or spark. The OP may very well have a fuel delivery issue, but it is not his primary issue.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Doesn't matter what else is going on, a dead bike (as in no electrical power) is not related to fuel or spark. The OP may very well have a fuel delivery issue, but it is not his primary issue.
Not necessarily. I had the same issue with my old Aero. Bike completely shut down, no power, no lights at WOT. Bike ran perfectly fine at 55-60 mph. When I opened up the throttle, backfiring and complete shutdown. Turned the key off/on and power was back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts