Honda Shadow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Honda Shadow vt600. It ran perfectly until I welded my exhaust pipe and odometer to the bike. Now when I start it, it almost stops immediately. When I push the throttle it keeps going for a bit longer but it stops when I let the throttle go. My guess was that there went some ironshavings into my velocity stacks. I cleaned my carb and rejetted it to 145.5 for the main jet and 45 for the slow jet. Is it normal that it needs bigger jets when my exhaust pipes were welded a little bit longer or can I exclude this as a cause?

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,998 Posts
I welded my exhaust pipe and odometer to the bike
Can you explain this a little more ? You welded the pipes to the motor or did you add material to the ends to make them longer ?
You welded the ODOMETER to the bike ?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,623 Posts
Did it run good before all this work?
If so the pipes should not make it die.
Working on the carbs and velocity stacks would be the cause.

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you explain this a little more ? You welded the pipes to the motor or did you add material to the ends to make them longer ?
You welded the ODOMETER to the bike ?
I kept the original pipes but I add material to the ends to make them longer. It runned okay but after the work not. And yes I welded the odometer to the bike pretty close to the carb so I thought that maybe that was the problem but it's not because I already cleaned them and it still runs bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did it run good before all this work?
If so the pipes should not make it die.
Working on the carbs and velocity stacks would be the cause.
It ran well before the work but I can't wrap my head around the reason why it runs so bad because of the work? I thought that with the reinstall of the exhaust (because of the welding) that maybe it was getting some air there but I checked and that's not it. I used new crush packing so normally that can not be the problem. So you think the exhaust pipes cannot be the reason? I also put some DB-killers in the exhaust can that be the reason? I checked and when I used the choke the bike starts, when I slowly push the choke back in, it stops running. So, with logical thinking I've come to realise that I need bigger jets, but how much bigger and I'm not sure if that's the reason because it ran perfectly before the work.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
Unless the muffler pipes became blocked, and you welded the extensions on while they were off the bike, they can’t be the reason. Can you send us a picture or two of the odometer welding?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rock-climbing equipment Gas

Unless the muffler pipes became blocked, and you welded the extensions on while they were off the bike, they can’t be the reason. Can you send us a picture or two of the odometer welding?
The muffler pipes are new so I hope that's not the problem. I can rejet but I don't like that because the bike ran perfectly before with the same jets

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Pull the mufflers off, keep the headers on. Or, garden hose at the foot, pull the whole exhaust system [easer-faster] start the bike and see if it idles and says running = Muffler Mod.

Signed,
Stay Stock Club

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,433 Posts
That’s one of the nice things about having an ‘83. Ran beautifully with open headers and no air box. Plus, cool blue flames! Pity the front one was pointed right at the frame… 😳

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.