Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, Just wanted to ask a couple of things. What do you feel when your engine is not warmed up enough?

It rarely happens but every blue moon as I am accelerating there seems to be no power from 2k-3k rpm. Last time it felt like the engine actually wanted to cut out. On both occasions I simply accelerated out of it and the engine had no problems after that.

I was wondering if in those cases I simply didn't let the engine warm up enough or if there might be a deeper problem. I typically give it 3-4 minutes to warm up; this typically allows the temp guage to leave the dead area into the operating band. Again, This has only happened about 3 times in the past 4 months (commute every day 10 miles to work).

Bike is a '86 VT700c

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes most likely due to the bike being cold mine does the same in the early morning. I usually ease through it slowly.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Cold = hesitation, ragged.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool beans thanks,

The last time it happened it was while on the freeway onramp starting from one of those rush hour onramp lights with a car behind me. Was a little unnerving when the bike wasn't responding how it usually does.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Cool beans thanks,

The last time it happened it was while on the freeway onramp starting from one of those rush hour onramp lights with a car behind me. Was a little unnerving when the bike wasn't responding how it usually does.
If you rode far enough to reach the freeway onramp then the bike was most likely warmed up, unless you live next to the freeway. Your bike shouldn't need 4 minutes to be ready to ride, 30 seconds should do it.

Has this ever happened 30 minutes into a ride?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
The 1980s Shadows were jetted very lean. Mine will hesitate several miles into a ride. I usually ride the first few miles with the choke on 1/2 or so.

Start the bike with the choke on. Let it run for 30 seconds while you put your gear on. Then bump the choke down until you get about 1,500 RPMs at idle. Ride off. After a few miles, shut the choke off completely. (Don't forget to do this or you're waste a lot of fuel and possibly shorten the lifespan of the engine.)

I've been doing this for years and it helps a lot.

--Justin

·
Registered
31 Posts
same same here...

I get the low powerband blues early in the morning commute for about the first mile when cooler, my 83 vt750c likes a good warm up before solid throttle feel. I know this and try to give a good warm up or ill take an extra block before hitting interstate commute and hey I got 58K and some duct tape holding some things in place, but when she warms up,she pulls hard she's my best friend !!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you rode far enough to reach the freeway onramp then the bike was most likely warmed up, unless you live next to the freeway. Your bike shouldn't need 4 minutes to be ready to ride, 30 seconds should do it.

Has this ever happened 30 minutes into a ride?
The two times it happened on the freeway on ramp it was during my commute home. My office is 2 blocks away from the freeway which is why I typically make sure its nice and warm as I simply don't get the chance to warm up en route.

It has never done it 30 minutes in like you asked. Which is why I assumed it just wasn't warm enough yet.

It seems like it wouldn't even be an issue except for those **** traffic flow stoplights on the freeway on ramps forcing me to a complete stop then having to punch it to avoid being hit from behind.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
The two times it happened on the freeway on ramp it was during my commute home. My office is 2 blocks away from the freeway which is why I typically make sure its nice and warm as I simply don't get the chance to warm up en route.

It has never done it 30 minutes in like you asked. Which is why I assumed it just wasn't warm enough yet.

It seems like it wouldn't even be an issue except for those **** traffic flow stoplights on the freeway on ramps forcing me to a complete stop then having to punch it to avoid being hit from behind.
AH.......HA!!!! Now we have all the pieces to the puzzle, and the conclusion issssssssssss COLD BIKE!!

·
Registered
589 Posts
The 1980s Shadows were jetted very lean. Mine will hesitate several miles into a ride. I usually ride the first few miles with the choke on 1/2 or so.

Start the bike with the choke on. Let it run for 30 seconds while you put your gear on. Then bump the choke down until you get about 1,500 RPMs at idle. Ride off. After a few miles, shut the choke off completely. (Don't forget to do this or you're waste a lot of fuel and possibly shorten the lifespan of the engine.)

I've been doing this for years and it helps a lot.

--Justin
+1 I followed this advice and it helps a lot. I have a back street behind my house I start down slowly with choke get to one end lower choke and by end I remove it and then I can head into traffic. If you give it a little throttle and it doesn't go smooth past 3-4 k then its way to cold.

Crash

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.