Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discussing it with the wife since my post yesterday. In parking lots or our own driveway I could see it would be easy to simply push a bike away, or up into a trailer if someone were to be so bold.
The steering lock: Honestly I've never thought to use them, or never had one that was functional. This morning she and I tried them. I can see how with a little practice it could be engaged in about five seconds by leaning over and twisting it while the key is still in our hand. Very similar to locking car doors before wireless remotes. We've decided that a few seconds is a small price to pay to add a layer of security. Not foolproof by any means, but it does make theft quite a bit more difficult and time consuming, so therefore some degree less likely.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just like anything, if they want it bad enough...

But, I use my column lock because most thefts are opportunistic. Meaning that the reason they wheeled off your bike, is because it was there, and easy to do.

Not saying that some guys REALLY wanting a Shadow couldn't heave it up over the side of a truck or on a small trailer, but that's not the norm. Many folks are just waiting for you to give them something, for some, that "thing" is an opportunity.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Roadmaster
983 Posts
I always use my fork lock, but that is mostly because I work with a bunch of jokers who would think nothing of wheeling my bike to the ass end of the parking lot as a joke.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Just like anything, if they want it bad enough...

But, I use my column lock because most thefts are opportunistic. Meaning that the reason they wheeled off your bike, is because it was there, and easy to do.

Not saying that some guys REALLY wanting a Shadow couldn't heave it up over the side of a truck or on a small trailer, but that's not the norm. Many folks are just waiting for you to give them something, for some, that "thing" is an opportunity.
^^++111 What he said.....

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I always use my fork lock, but that is mostly because I work with a bunch of jokers who would think nothing of wheeling my bike to the ass end of the parking lot as a joke.
A couple of guys at my fire station wheelied my bike into the station office. I wasn't amused.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I bought my first bike I used to lock her. Well... one day I was trying to get off with one chick... I jumped on to my bike, put my sunglasses, said her some wonderful words, started the engine and paffffff. I forgoted the bike was locked and I, my bike and my self-respect went to ground while the chick start laughing....
That night I sleep alone... and since then I haven't locked any bike hehe.

By the way here in Spain custom bikes aren't attractive for thiefs. the best anti thieft system is to park next to a sports bike...

----------- EDIT -----------
OFF TOPIC: Wombatair, have you a Bultaco 350?? Perhaps a Metralla or Tralla? My father raced with one Metralla 350. Beautiful machine, one of the best spanish bikes of all times.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I bought my first bike I used to lock her. Well... one day I was trying to get off with one chick... I jumped on to my bike, put my sunglasses, said her some wonderful words, started the engine and paffffff. I forgoted the bike was locked and I, my bike and my self-respect went to ground while the chick start laughing....
That night I sleep alone... and since then I haven't locked any bike hehe.

By the way here in Spain custom bikes aren't attractive for thiefs. the best anti thieft system is to park next to a sports bike...

----------- EDIT -----------
OFF TOPIC: Wombatair, have you a Bultaco 350?? Perhaps a Metralla or Tralla? My father raced with one Metralla 350. Beautiful machine, one of the best spanish bikes of all times.
And there's no way on earth to convince anyone nearby that you meant to do that. That's a story you'll be able to tell for decades.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I have always on every bike I've owned used the steering lock.Like others have said if they want it they'll figure a way to get it but anything to keep honest people honest works. The next thing is have good insurance then maybe a little hassle but you'll get a new bike and be all set.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
I`d say, 90% of the time, my key is in the ignition switch...
Parked here at home that is ;)
I keep my key inside my glove when I do remove it...

I`ve probably locked the forks 10 times...

I carry a padlock & cable, to run through the rear wheel, but only have used it 4 times...I put the padlock through the sprocket too...
The front disc lock is a standard padlock that fits the holes nicely, I run a reminder cable to the clutch handle when I used it once...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
They say that the fork locks are easily broken. Just a good hard twist on the handlebars and its done. I'm afraid to use a disc lock. You forget one time to take it off and it will do quite a bit of damage. Captain D made a good point of putting something on it to remind yourself. If my bike is at home the key stays in it in the garage. If I'm out and about the key goes in my pocket. That is the extent of my theft protection. Helmet, gloves and sunglasses hang on my handlebars. I've never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Read where a couple of guys with a trailer and a mattress on a dolly would just drive up, push the bike onto the mattress, wheel it into the trailer....gone in less than two minutes.

Still use the steering lock and have insurance just in case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts