Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to make these first 3 posts meaningful... :mrgreen:
My gf and I have new bikes and I am thinking of getting us a set of communicators for xmas. We both have full-face helmets. I'm looking for music and phone capability, too. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Some states don't care much for speakers and a lot do not like headphones. Something to check out, my ticket was $225.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,210 Posts
Bluetooth headsets are the best way to go.

Cardo has the Scala-Rider series. I've had the original and the Q2. Good products that will not meet your needs for music. They've got newer models that probably will. (Look for A2DP capability.)

Sena is another brand that gets a lot of praise. I've got no hands-on experience but I'd be shopping their products if I was buying today.

Chatterbox is another brand. I stopped buying their products many years ago but had great experiences with the company. They were a few years behind for size and capabilities when I switched to Cardo but I have no idea where they stand today.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My wife and I use the SENA SMH-10 system. Best price was on Amazon back in the summer. Works wonderfully. Blue tooth thru our iphones, piece of cake!

·
Registered
16,802 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sena SMH 5's here for the wife and I. I understand the whole thing about getting away from distractions and all, but I have to say, we enjoy riding so much more now that we can talk to one another. FYI, we each ride our own ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. I definitely will want to unplug and just ride. But I will want comm option, too. I like the Senas a lot. I might try the 5 and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I guess Im just old fashioned as I to use Hand Signals. :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I will put in another +1 for the Sena headsets. I use the SMH5's and they work great. I just got an email from Sena that a firmware update is available that allows music sharing and speed dialing for phone calls. I use the voice command feature on my iPhone5 to do voice activated calling now. The headsets are easily updated by connecting them to USB on the computer and using Sena's Device Manager program.

GF and I use them on open face helmets and the microphones are very good at wind noise cancellation. Only feature I had to turn off was VOX (voice operated) answering of incoming phone calls. I thought it would be great to just answer a call by saying hello, but when a call would come in my pipes were loud enough to make the headsets think I was saying something to answer the call. I would be riding along and a voice would be speaking in my helmet to me and I didn't even know the call had come in. Voices in my head, nothing new though :-D:-D

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,210 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I definitely will want to unplug and just ride. But I will want comm option, too.
And that's just what it is -- an option. Sometimes when you're riding with along with someone you just want to be into the ride and talking is a distraction. Other times, you want to be in near-continuous communication for a variety of reasons. And there are times when you want to shout "Watch out!" without taking either of your hands off the grips.

The trouble, as always, comes when you're traveling with your spouse/partner and can't quite agree on the appropriate level of discussion. There is no communication device out there that can help you successfully navigate that rough terrain.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
I agrree with the want for talking to my riding partners...
Coming home from our Deals Gap Run I had a front flat, running 80+ MPH and I was the "tailgunner" so I got left behind for a few exits...
Cell phone was then our communication, but wouldda been nice to have "helmet devices" for instant talk....

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
If you want to get a cheaper set Give Shark a try. My neighbour and I got a 6 rider set for $99 and they seem to work well. We never got a chance to test them riding as he broke his leg the week we were going to. I have heard for the money they work very well and they work with your phone for calls and music and gps link. The music sound really good as does the phone calls. They take a little longer to link with other headsets but once linked your good to go. You can also plug an mp3 player into it if you don't have bluetooth. Here's the link. There are several to choose from some even have fm radio. sharkmotorcycleaudio.com: quality cycle sounds Intercom and Headsets

1 - 14 of 14 Posts