Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z83/puckothewilde/Bike%20vs%20Deer/

Added a new photo albumn. I'm a bit sore today. At 2:30am Wednesday 2.22.12 I hit a deer with my motorcycle going about 60mph. I was just at the Azle, Tx citly limits when I suddenly hit what seemed like a big, brown, hairy wall. My thought was, "Not again." I bounced, rolled and slide to a stop about 50-100 feet. I stopped face down and slowly pushed myself up and limped to the bike and picked it up. Not easy, arms and legs were not working so good. But I got it up.
I took my helmet off and teenage girl and her boyfriend were behind me and stopped to see if I needed help. I told them I thought I was ok. They stuck around to make sure my phone was working and I called Lisa. Lisa says I need to stop calling her from the side of the road with all the traffic noise in the background. I was actually almost right in front of the Azle hospital, but I told Lisa I was going to see about getting the bike started and get it home 1st. I pulled out a flashlight and found bits and pieces of the bike. Found the deer. Very small white tail. I think it was a fawn, but when I hit it it seemed like a moose! Threw it about 40-50 feet off the side of the road. If my body wasn't so hurt I would have strapped it to the bike. But I could barely lift my arms, deer was not happening. Not even a small one.
Got the bike started and rode home. I could tell the front end was messed up. When I got home and could look at the bike in the light of the carport I saw the forks are bent and one has a slight kink. Not fixable. I went out today and there is a dent in the tank, saddlebags are toast, footpeg wore down, and the edge of the windshield is ground down. Left mirror is snapped off and took a big chunk out of the clutch handle bracket. And covered in green Deer poo. Might be without a bike for awhile. I only have liabilty insurance. So any repairs are out of my pocket. :cry:
The Doctor and staff at the Azle Hospital were very glad I was wearing full armor. My Yellow reflective safty vest took most of the damage on top and my riding pants knees are worn through to the hard rubber armor. I hit on my left side and I truly believe if I hadn't had the armor on when I hit on my left elbow and shoulder I would have broken bones instead of just sprained. My daughter Robyn and Lisa both said they are glad I wear armor.
So here is the list: Left shoulder and Elbow sprained and in a sling. Right hand burts a blood vessel and last night it had a knot the size of a golf ball on the back of my hand. It is wrapped with an Ace bandage. Swelling is down tonight. Large bruise on left leg below knee. It was purplie black last night, but already fading. And a small bruise on my right leg below the knee. And everything seems to be taking turns hurting. I'm taking Flexoril and Tramadol. I can't take most pain meds, but Tramadol I can as long as it's the 50mg and not the 100mg. Dr. told me to take a couple days off to rest and see my regular Dr. on Friday. I think I should be able to go back to work Monday.
Oh, and I found out some idiot behind the hospital has a deer feeder and there are about 5 deer living in the area! I'm going to call the police tomorrow and see if reporting it will do anything. What idiot feeds deer close to a freeway! Ugh

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
just one of my biggest fear is hitting a deer,we have em all over the place here,luckily i dont ride much at night as i have no need to,but still they can and have ran across the road in broad daylight,it just a little easier to see them.
really sorry to hear that you had this happen..just glad youre able to tell us about it and will heal up within a few days. the bike can be replaced eventually.

·
Registered
106 Posts
just one of my biggest fear is hitting a deer,we have em all over the place here,luckily i dont ride much at night as i have no need to,but still they can and have ran across the road in broad daylight,it just a little easier to see them.
really sorry to hear that you had this happen..just glad youre able to tell us about it and will heal up within a few days. the bike can be replaced eventually.
My wife and I were up in WV (Parkersburg/Elizabeth) for Xmas and there were deer all over the roads. We were in my Ford Explorer and I was still worried about hitting them.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Glad you are ok, good to know you had the common sense to wear armoured gear instead of flip flops and a tee shirt..I have to be honest I wear an armoured leather jacket, leather calf length boots, armoured gloves a ful face helmet and two pair of jeans..but I don't think I would have walked away without broken knees..

Go and buy a lottery ticket.. you could get a new bike..

John.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Very scary indeed!
Looking at your photos shows that you were lucky you weren't hurt more than you were.
All the best on your healing (and bike repairs )

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Glad to hear your ok and not hurt any worse. When I lived up in Fort Worth near loop 820 I'd see deer crossing the road every now and then. Riding home from work I saw two but they stayed well away from me. Living in the country now I expect to see a lot of them in the weeks ahead.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. Pretty sore, but it's not really that bad. It could have been so much worse. I think I'm getting more ATTGATT all the time. People may laugh at me, but I know the armor saved me from worse injuries. I was able to pick myself up and ride away. Limping, me and the bike, but riding.

I'm more upset about the bike getting messed up than my own injuries. It might be a little while, but I'll figure out how to get a bike again before too long.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Curses on A Deer

Glad to hear you survived with minor injuries. It's the gear, hopefully your story will encourage others to suit up, especially night riders.

Good luck with the bike repairs.....

I think I will go watch Bambi, and laugh at the part when his mom get's it....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Man, that sucks!

Glad to read that you are OK - relatively speaking - and sorry to hear that the bike suffered pretty badly.

I have to admit that when I have ridden in the US it has mostly been in hot weather and I haven't given too much thought to what I have worn.

You post is a salutory reminder that you can't be too careful.

Hope you heal quick.

Collector

·
Registered
112 Posts
Glad you are okay! I am still looking for a cheep pair of armoured pants. Yours seem to be fantastic, where did you find them and how much were they?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've recently considered going less than ATGATT for the Spring and Summer, but will now gladly don the goofy armour outfit. Nice pics of your thrashed gear, really drives the point home.
No pics of the deer though, I bet I'm not the only one who wanted to see both sides of the deer+bike equation!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
When will people learn. Bikes are for riding .... not hunting! :-D Glad to hear you weren’t hurt too badly. Say .... maybe you and Charles can meet up for a drink and share war stories.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts