Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes i tried the search, but i'm too lazy to go through 5,053 results for 'bike won't start'. 1,340 for 'won't start'. arggghhh!

bike has ben sitting since mid november, 4 months now. put seafoam in and ran it for 10 minutes when i last parked it. i had my mechanic charge the battery for 24 hours yesterday. it cranks, but no start. i know it's probably no fuel, oh god i don't want to have to take the tank off to work on the carbs! should i drain them? how's that done? i did dump in a bottle of water remover today, maybe it'll work and start tomorrow, who knows.

any easy advice? it's finally 50 degrees here and sunny, after a long winter of clouds and temps of 10 below zero. i want to ride!

barrett

· Registered
4,689 Posts
Ok take a deep breath, do the FINEC routine.

Fuel petcock ON
Ignition ON
Kill switch ON
Kick stand UP
In Neutral
Choke ON
Clutch pulled.

All above ok and still wont' start.

Does the fuel smell bad? If you have ever smelled bad fuel you will know.

If not
Open the drains on the carb bowl see if there is fuel. Read the Jetology Sticky above that will tell you where the drains are located.
Fuel flows out freely, clean it up and pull a plug wire attach to a spark plug and push the plug against side of the motor and crank again see if it is sparking.

Spark is present. Prepare FOR SALE sign sell it an buy something that will run....

Ok maybe that is extreme.

Remove the air cleaner and spray a quick squirt of ether in the hole and try again see if it tries to start. DON'T run the bike on ether, but it may give it the boost it needs to get started.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
gremlin, just relax, there's probably nothing wrong with your bike if you winterized it properly. You would be hard to get going too if you were sitting idle since Nov of last year.
I had exactly the same thing happening to my Sabre this afternoon. Nice warm day, bike had been sitting since Nov, just like yours.
I had my battery on a maintainer all winter. So I wanted to take my first ride today - It cranked and cranked and cranked and didn't even make an attempt to start. No coughing or sputtering, all I got was a straight cranking at normal speed. Tried choke on/off/half way etc. No Start.
Recalled the same thing happening last spring and remembered how I solved it.
I proceeded to jump the bike battery with my car. Contrary to popular belief running the car engine while jumping your bike battery will/can not hurt your bike. 12 V is 12 V or more correctly 14 V is 14V.
The bike's starter sounded much stronger and a little faster, bike started to sputter immediately and caught within 6 to 8 revolutions.
Kept running car hooked up to running bike for about 5 minutes and then disconnected cables.
Put on my gear and went for a 2 hour beautiful first ride of this year.
Bike worked like a charm. I stopped several times, turning it off and started it again, it caught within 1/2 turn which is normal for it.
Exactly the same thing happened to it last year and it ran great all year after the initial start after hibernation. So it does not seem to be a weak battery issue because the battery was fine all last year and I expect it to be fine again this year. Battery voltage and charging voltage are fine.
It's probably just a matter of the engine being a bit cold blooded after a long hibernation.
I hope the same holds true for yours. I'd try the boost before tearing into it no holds barred - it may not be necessary. Go for the simple stuff first.
Good luck

· Registered
10,498 Posts
I just started my bike up yesterday for the first time after winterizing back in late October. It does take a while to get the fuel going. Crank it. Wait a minute or so. Crank it again. Wait a minute. On the 3rd attempt, she started right up. Patience......

· Registered
31 Posts
the first time I tried this year she just cranked but wouldnt fire. I checked to make sure the petcock was on (yup it was) kill switch was set to run (yup) and then just walked away. I came back the next day, hit the key and she popped right off.

if it still doesnt fire I would agree that you might want to drain the tank and bowls and fill her up with fresh stuff.

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so how do i drain the carbs? jetology just says to open the float bowl drains. where are they? it's an 86 vt500c. i looked all over it, and i'd rather not guess at what to put a wrench on. carbs on cars are soooo much easier to work on!

is there any way to spray carb cleaner into the carb? maybe a hose i could remove or something? or just into the air intake under the seat maybe? how much is too much? i don't want to grenade it!

trust me, it's the bike not me. i checked and triple checked my start up procedure. snowed AGAIN yesterday, so i haven't had a chance to try again.

thanks-
barrett

· Registered
63 Posts
all years i saw this happen, CHOKE was not on fully..is this normal, no..if all things are on that should be,check to see if choke is closed fully..

that ether idea is good one ,if it starts, its fuel problem..
i use LIGHTER FLUID in my chainsaws and weedeaters and push lawnmowers in spark plug hole..

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i tried to start the bike this morning, hoping i could ride to work. it cranked over like 3 times and then just died, no more cranking.

after work i bought a new battery, the old one tested at 43 cca's! it may have been charged fully and reading 13 volts, but a new one can't hurt. i just have to add the acid and trickle charge it overnight.

hopefully this gets it to work, otherwise, i guess i'm looking into the fuel system. nobody ever replied with how to drain the carb, any help?

barrett

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just to let ya'll know, i put the trickle charger on the new battery for 6 hours. tested at 14.1 volts, cranked over a few and started. yay!

got in my first ride of the year, ran perfect. but of course being vermont it's suposed to rain and snow all week. i just can't win.

barrett

· Registered
63 Posts
battery is always first place to go ,chokes closed fully are problem,varnish in gas and carbs..those 3 i think over 50 years have been the major problems in bikes..

i was just out on lake bass fishing and my battery when down fast EVEN tho it showed a good charge..if battery is over 4 years old,it starts showing its age..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.