Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Vt750 c2 2009
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put in new start motor new plugs,the bike starts then splutters and dies.Could it be a fuel problem thanks.

·
Registered
Vt750 c2 2009
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi guys im new here and need some help.Bike was running fine the the other day i started her up and she splutters and dies.The starter motor was gone so i bought a new one,i bought new plugs new battery and it has clean fuel.I still have the same issue,she starts then splutters then stops.Could this be a fuel issue somewhere.Im not really that good when it comes to the harder stuff.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,859 Posts
Hi guys im new here and need some help.Bike was running fine the the other day i started her up and she splutters and dies.The starter motor was gone so i bought a new one,i bought new plugs new battery and it has clean fuel.I still have the same issue,she starts then splutters then stops.Could this be a fuel issue somewhere.Im not really that good when it comes to the harder stuff.
Best to start a separate thread for your problem. It gets confusing dealing with two peoples problems in one thread.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,071 Posts
How clean is the fuel system ?
Check for vacuum leaks at the carb boots.
Is the intake system still all stock?

·
Registered
Vt750 c2 2009
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all i posted the other day but thought i would make a better post.so i tried starting the bike 2 weeks ago and it just splutterd and died,i had been riding it 2 days before with no problems,a friend of mine had a look and the starter motor went kaputt.we have now put in a new starter new plugs and a new battery,but still same results.It ticks over for about 20 secs then dies.When it was ticking over i blew into the tank and the revs went higher,could this be a fuel pump issue or a blockage somewhere.Im no mechanic but this is driving me nuts,oh everything on the bike is standard,hope you can give me some ideas sorry for the long post thanks.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,071 Posts
If it has a carb, when it dies drain the float bowl to see if 1 or 2 ounces of fuel comes out.
If it is Fuel Injected the pump may be failing. Harder to check fuel pressure without the proper fittings, but if you can slowly lift the fuel pressure line on top of the pump when it dies, see if there is pressure.
Watch out for gas spray ! Do this when the engine is cool.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,071 Posts
The fuel pump may be the cause. But why suddenly just after replacing the starter?
Could there be a sensor disconnected the shuts off the pump?
Some of these bikes had a angle sensor and they recalled them but it looks like starting with 2010.

To test the fuel pressure you need a kit like this to go in-line with the pressure fitting on the pump. The normal pressures on F/I is 35 to 50 pounds, that is why I say be careful. But with this kit is safer.

·
Registered
Vt750 c2 2009
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that swifty i will give it a go.A friend was looking for solutions why it wouldn't start and he blew the old starter,but before that starter went the bike still wouldn't start.I think your right it has to be fuel related.I will let you know how we get on,again thankyou for your help and input appreciate it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not sure what level of wrench you are so sorry if this is too basic.

You need three things, fuel, oxygen, spark
You are missing or at minimum out of balance with at least one

fuel
Try and start,
put choke on full, try again (ya I know its summer 😏) better? worse?
pull spark plug, does it have gas on it?

spark
have a spark plug tester? If not they are cheap to get
Or you could pull out and hold base to ground - that probably may be unsafe or something so I didn't really suggest it as an alternate.
Do you have spark?

oxygen
Can you breath if you are near your bike?
Um, just joking, lets start with answers to first two questions and see if we get a hint for how to progress. Unless the answer is no, then we should make this a priority.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,071 Posts
With fuel injection it is a whole new ballgame as far as fuel delivery.
If you have a stethoscope you might be able to hear the injectors click to know if they are being fired at least.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
Vt750 c2 2009
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your help swifty but bike is now going into the garage,we gave up.As for the other reply yes we had good spark fuel and compression.Thanks again for the help will let you know what it was when i get her back,soon hopefully,appreciate it guys👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts