Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I left work yesterday and realized that I had left my key in the bike since I came back from lunch. I was completely dead. The Odometer would not even light up. I rolled it down a hill and popped the clutch to get it started. I had it running for about 45 minutes after that. I got home and turned it off and it started back up the 3 times that I tried. I just went outside and it would not start. This was about 30 hours later. The lights would come on but it would not crank. Any suggestions? :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
You killed the battery, go buy a new one. You can damage the bikes alternator using it to charge a dead battery, always charge a battery first when it is dead.

This is my guess.

12.6V or higher: 100% charge
12.4V - 12.6V: 75-100%
12.2V - 12.4V: 50-75%
12.0V - 12.2V: 25-50%
11.7V - 12.0V: 0-25%
11.7V or less: 0% (and probably not capable of being recharged).

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Ok I won't say buy a new battery, I will say.....put the bike in neutral and put the kickstand up and try again, oh yeah and check the kill switch make sure it's in the correct position. :wink:

I will also say check the fluid level in the battery, and charge it fully and try again....it doesn't always kill a battery when they are drained, but they need to be fully charged up to get to a known condition then go from there.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the battery out and took it to Advance Auto. They will test it for free. Well in order to test the battery it has to be fully charged. So they charged it up and it tested fine. I took it home and the bike started right up. Problem solved and great service from Advance Auto! :D

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Sounds like you may have a grounding issue. Under the seat there should be a big ground lug from the negative side of the battery, remove it and clean up the contact points where the lug touches ground. Any other electrical contacts (starter, the other end of the positive battery terminal, re-seat the 30 amp main fuse etc) should/could be checked. Intermittent contact is an SOB to figure out, but usually something easy.

Also sometimes the starter switch causes intemittant problems but will start occassionally, that could need to be cleaned up, (taken apart and emery paper the contacts).

You may want to invest in a cheap volt/ohm meter too, they can tell you alot in a hurry. Before throwing good money after bad on batteries.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will check the ground but I kind of think that it is the battery since I never had any trouble until I left the ignition on for 4 hours. Anyway I went to Sears and bought a new Die Hard Battery. Got it home and read the instructions about putting the acid in. Then I got to the part about needing to charge the battery before use. I have only bought car batteries before and have never had to charge them before use. So I went back to Sears and bought a charger. $70 for the battery and $30 for the charger. :cry: I just hope the wife doesn't find out.

I guess the charger was something that I really needed anyway. I will hook up the permanent part to the bike so that I can attach the charger and charge the battery if I need to without having to remove the seats.

Anyway right now I am waiting on the battery. It said to wait an hour after filling it up to let all the bubbles escape.

I will let you know how it all works out.

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
One of those "Battery Tender" trickle chargers is almost a necessity with my Shadow. Money well spent.
[I did the "add the acid" deal once. Spilled some on my hands. Thoughts of skin grafts ran through my mind- Nah, it's pretty weak stuff. Washed off with water.]

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
A suggestion:

Maybe, use the key to shut-off the engine instead of the "kill-switch/kick-stand switch". :roll: It's called changing your routine to stop the engine. :wink:

Bullzeyet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts