Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back we had a heavy rain set in and I had to ride home in the rain. The further along I went the rougher the bike was running. I'm assuming moisture was being sucked in and screwing with the mix. I made it home but the next morning the bike was difficult to start and only ran roughly for a few minutes before dying. I let it set to dry out for a while but still it will not start. The battery seems pretty strong and the starter turns the engine well but it will not start.

It has plenty of gas, but I'm no mechanic. What should I check next?

TIA

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts
Ain`t got sigs turned on;)
Too many pics in sigs, AND on my connection it takes too long to download a page :D

So it`s still a mystery ;)

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
If by your own admission, you're no mechanic, 1st, what these guys ^ said, and 2nd get an oem service manual.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LLLL, Bring it and your manual over, We`ll "git `er done"

What have you checked already?

Got fire"
Got Fuel?
There's plenty of fuel in the tank. Petcock on reg or res and no starty. I'm going to pick up some starter fluid on the way home and test for fuel and fire.

Do you think the heavy rain had anything to do with it? It's got a big intake with a cone filter that was getting rained on pretty heavy.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
There's plenty of fuel in the tank. Petcock on reg or res and no starty. I'm going to pick up some starter fluid on the way home and test for fuel and fire.

Do you think the heavy rain had anything to do with it? It's got a big intake with a cone filter that was getting rained on pretty heavy.
From several thousand miles away I would say the filter had everything to do with it, and I would say by adding that filter you have restricted your bike to dry weather riding..

But that's all water under the bridge.

drain the carbs, remove the air filter, dry the housing out with a soft cloth and a hair dryer close the drain screws on the carbs, make sure the battery is fully charged or use jumper leads and start the engine.

Then after drying the air filter with the hair dryer refit it and ride in dry weather.

John.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,108 Posts

Ah, and now we know....

Mine is stock, I can and have rode it in torrential downpours...:D
Nothing ever assumed by me though...
I always wait for the truth to come out...
(cone filter)
Yes, I agree with John on a lot of things...

By my asking Got fuel? I mean - do you have fuel entering the cylinders...
And Fire? Same thing...
:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say by adding that filter you have restricted your bike to dry weather riding..

But that's all water under the bridge.
I agree with you there. But it was go or wait for hours before getting to go home. :x

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Check to see if water collected in the sparkplug holes. There are small drain holes to let water out but they can get clogged easily. If it is the cone filter, just take it off and see if it is wet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check to see if water collected in the sparkplug holes. There are small drain holes to let water out but they can get clogged easily. If it is the cone filter, just take it off and see if it is wet.
I will check those tonight as well. But just so everyone knows. It has had ample to dry out.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,027 Posts
Show us a pic of your air intake, some of the cones look cool but have been known to cause problems especially getting wet, you usually have a choice of looking cool or working well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I was going to test with starter fluid last night but the battery has gone down. Had other things to do so will get it charged up.

Question: When I connect the charger is it necessary to disconnect the battery from the electrical system? Or can I just connect to the terminals? In the past I have always disconnected but was just curious.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,277 Posts
Petcock on reg or res and no starty.
Most folks ride with the petcock set to "ON" so they have a little bit of fuel left in reserve should they find themselves running low with no fuel station nearby. When the bike stumbles, switching he petcock to "RES" gets most of us another 20+ miles of riding before we have to start hiking.

Question: When I connect the charger is it necessary to disconnect the battery from the electrical system? Or can I just connect to the terminals?
No.

Yes.

FWIW, you should NOT be using a 6+ amp charger on a motorcycle battery. Opinions vary on that but generally a 2 amp charger is about as powerful as you want to use. (Yuasa recommends that batteries be charged at 1/10th of their stated capacity.)

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
to clarify the battery charger question it works like this, modern batteries, gel, agm have less liquid in them to avoid spillage or expansion when being used, gel batteries have the acid suspended in a gel and AGM have a sponge type material called absorbant glass matt, so the plates are thinner and they use less lead and the acid is evenly spread over the plates, giving more active contact, the battery connections connect to the plates and when you connect the charger it generates heat.. so more heat can buckle the thin plates and they can touch each other, as each alternate plate is either positive or negative this will short circuit the battery making it useless.. gel or agm are still lead acid batteries.

Now the old fashioned batteries are different, thicker metal plates and a liquid acid, usually 2.5% which acts as a coolant when the battery is being charged, but if you don't remove the lid of each cell the battery will create a poisonous gas which will expand and the battery will explode, you can use a 6 amp charger on this battery..

Having said all that, the people who make batteries are in the business of making money, so you can take it to the bank that over the years those lead plates have got thinner and thinner and so now it is possible that some of the liquid filled batteries are now so thin that the 6 amp charger may be able to warp the plates enough so that they will touch if left on charge too long.

John.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.