Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2007 Honda Shadow aero, 2004 Honda silverwing, 2019 Honda PCX 150.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a used 2007 Honda Shadow aero. It has 42,000 mi on it. We changed out the battery whenever we bought it and it started up and I wrote it 200 mi to the house. I had problems with it dying whenever I was at a stoplight. It's like it would idle down and then just bog out. Now one day later I wrote it around town. It died on me one more time. Similar to that. I'm just looking for help on what it could be that's giving me problems and why it's dying. I've tried to start it again and I tried for a good 15 20 minutes starting it may have flooded it. I'm not used to carburetors. It's my first carbureted bike. I pulled the battery off because I guess trying to start it so much that the battery was drained. Is that something that can happen from trying to start your bike too much and it not fully turning over? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2003 Ace Deluxe
214 Posts
hi
charge up the battery , put some sea foam in the fuel tank and start the bike (hopefully)
the seafoam will clean out the fuel system.

its also possible there was some junk in the fuel tank clogging the fuel screen.
one way to check is disconnect the fuel line from the petcock and see if fuel freely flows, if not then that screen may be clogged.

if the seafoam does not help then its possible the fuel filter itself is clogged. kind of the same process, disconnect the line coming out of the filter and check for fuel flow.

· Registered
2007 Honda Shadow aero, 2004 Honda silverwing, 2019 Honda PCX 150.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the tips. I will do those in the next coming days and give everyone an update. I've done some lubework, but I don't think I'm mechanically inclined enough to rebuild a carburetor and such lol. But that fuel line process seems pretty straightforward with not a lot of complicated steps.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,327 Posts
If it ran fairly well on the road but just dies at stops, it may be a vacuum leak.
Or the carb low speed circuit also. Then they need cleaning.
See if you can keep it idling a bit and spray carb cleaner around the base of the carbs and hoses, and see if it changes speed or smoothness. .
And put in some Seafoam and ride it.
And see if the mixture screws are uncapped and turn each out to the left 1/2 turn.
Familiarize yourself with a manual.
See how that works.

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,138 Posts
Could also try adjusting idle up a little to see if that helps.

· Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
1,425 Posts
I think your bike has a gravity fed fuel system which means it has a vacuum operated diaphragm type of fuel valve. It's attached to the backside of the petcock assembly. These diaphragms wear out after 10 years or so, but they are easy to replace. They're called a "Cover Set" and should be less than $40. It should have a fuel line and a vacuum line attached to it. Check to make sure those hoses are in good shape and replace if they're not.

Part #16953-KEA-023

It may be a good time to replace the peacock screen and clean out the silt that has settle in the bottom of the tank while you're at it.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,925 Posts
I always start with Fresh Gas whenever I buy Used vehicles...
Change oil too, BUT that`s later ;)

Adjust idle speed screw first, then Check air filter, fuel filter and gas flow as suggested...

It won`t hurt nothing to pull the petcock and visually inspect that screen...
That`ll do two thigs, it`ll get the OLD gas out the tank, (and look to see IF water is in there too)
AND you can clean the screen and inspect it...

I`d change the inline fuel filter anyhow, Just cause,
Dennis

Our Gurus are GREAT ! ! !

Seafoam is carb cleaner of choice...
Berrymans B12 is good too...
I personally use NAPA Carb cleaner in the one gallon bucket with a screen inside, I`ll draw up & pour an ounce in the tank of everything that sits...

· Registered
151 Posts
If it ran fairly well on the road but just dies at stops, it may be a vacuum leak.
Or the carb low speed circuit also. Then they need cleaning.
See if you can keep it idling a bit and spray carb cleaner around the base of the carbs and hoses, and see if it changes speed or smoothness. .
And put in some Seafoam and ride it.
And see if the mixture screws are uncapped and turn each out to the left 1/2 turn.
Familiarize yourself with a manual.
See how that works.
[/QUOTE
Agreed. Possible clogged pilot jets (low speed circuit). Start with the basics; fresh fuel, good fuel flow, fuel pump test, no vacuum leaks,and coil/spark testing, Kill switch and stator testing.

· Registered
151 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought a used 2007 Honda Shadow aero. It has 42,000 mi on it. We changed out the battery whenever we bought it and it started up and I wrote it 200 mi to the house. I had problems with it dying whenever I was at a stoplight. It's like it would idle down and then just bog out. Now one day later I wrote it around town. It died on me one more time. Similar to that. I'm just looking for help on what it could be that's giving me problems and why it's dying. I've tried to start it again and I tried for a good 15 20 minutes starting it may have flooded it. I'm not used to carburetors. It's my first carbureted bike. I pulled the battery off because I guess trying to start it so much that the battery was drained. Is that something that can happen from trying to start your bike too much and it not fully turning over? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Possible fuel pump or pump relay problem, or stator not sending charging voltage at low speed? All easy tests. Buy a good multimeter if you don't have on. Harbor Freight or even Walmart has some cheap basic units.

· Registered
323 Posts
Do you completely shut off the choke after it warms up ? Never choke a flooded engine, open throttle throttle till it starts. Quick choke info . Starting my bike when cold on full ,let it idle up to 1500 ,slow idle to about 1300rpm with choke about 3/4.Take off ride about 5 minutes .turn off ,don't use it the rest of the day. cold blooded starts, That's on a 1984 700

1 - 11 of 11 Posts