Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 12, 2007 11:46 am

NEW CASTLE, Pa. — Charles Lemaster, 50, of New Castle died after his motorcycle crashed into a telephone pole. New Castle Police said Lemaster was traveling east at 12:23 a.m. Sunday on State Street when his 2004 Honda Shadow motorcycle went off the road at a bend and crashed into the pole. Police said Lemaster was not wearing a helmet. He was taken to Jameson Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Damn sorry to see someone go but.

50+ rider
12AM in the morning
No Helmet
Bend in road
PA, I know there has to still be ice on the road up there.

Just missing speed and if Alcohol was involved.

Guy didn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not wanting to start a helmet debate here, but every time we hear of another rider going down, it is always reported whether or not they were wearing a helmet but it is virtually never reported if the death was a result of head or bodily injuries.

My condolences go to the family and friends.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have since learned from sources close to the emergency responders that alcohol was *not* a factor, however speed in excess of 90mph was a factor.

After midnight.
In cold weather.
Without a helmet.

Who the hell can ride in temperatures like that, with that kind of speed, without a helmet to at least keep your eyes from watering up?

Sheesh.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
jimirwinsc said:
Not wanting to start a helmet debate here, but every time we hear of another rider going down, it is always reported whether or not they were wearing a helmet but it is virtually never reported if the death was a result of head or bodily injuries.

I completely agree!

The media tends to glaze over motorcycle deaths and while I'm not the morbid type, I think bikers would find information surrounding the crash valuable.

My condolences as well.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
chornbe said:
Who the hell can ride in temperatures like that, with that kind of speed, without a helmet to at least keep your eyes from watering up?
trjam said:
someone very mad about something I might think.
Or maybe the guy thought if he went faster the period of pain and discomfort would be shorter.

In any event, this is just a damn shame all the way around ... careless rider, grieved family and friends, careless media, the same bad impressions foisted upon the rest of us.

·
Registered
249 Posts
75 miles from ne, I deliver and drive thru there quite often. My wharehouse and office is 25 miles from there,and we got a consideraBLE AMT OF SNOW fRI AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

News says he failed to negotiate a curve,traveled 65' on the curb,before hitting the utility pole. He died from blunt force trauma to the head and chest.
Its always sad to see an accidental death,for any reason.

·
Registered
172 Posts
trjam said:
A life is a life is a lfe, precious.
Apparently not. I stopped in at my wife's work one day in full bike gear. One of her co workers asked me if I rode a motorcycle. I said yes. He then asked if I had a trailer on the back of the motorcycle to carry my coffin on. I informed him that around 2,000 people die in motorcycle crashes each year wile 40,000 or so die in car crashes and what makes him feel so safe being in a car? He said those 40,000 vrs 2,000 didn't matter because it was a matter of statistical ratio. So 1 bikers death is worth way more than 1 persons death in a car.

Just like 120 people are killed in plane crashes each year and you got to know lots of people that wont step foot in a plane because of this yet will hop in a car in a second to drive down to 7 eleven to get that "winning" lottery ticket and not think about the 41,611 who died in cars in 1999.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
jimirwinsc said:

That's because the news media simply doesn't know that information, in most cases, when the report is broadcast/printed.

While I will wholely agree that the media is biased and will skew information as they see fit, reports of accidents are usually reported
within a few hours of the event happening.

Speculation is the only thing that can say that a helmet did or did not cause the injuries or death.

It's only until the coroners office thoroughly examines the deceased that
can you tell what the actual cause of death was....
It's usually not news worthy to come back 2 or 3 days later to report
findings like this unless is involves a large quantity of people, such
as a bus accident, airplane accident, etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The byline for the article says March 12, so I assume the accident happened March 11. IIRC it was pretty nice here in Philly (low 60's) so I would assume New Castle wasn't that bad either. He certainly wasn't riding on snow or ice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
chornbe said:
I have since learned from sources close to the emergency responders that alcohol was *not* a factor, however speed in excess of 90mph was a factor.

After midnight.
In cold weather.
Without a helmet.

Sheesh.
That time of night, I'm guessing there were no witnesses. So: How does anyone know how fast he was going?

·
Registered
159 Posts
That time of night, I'm guessing there were no witnesses. So: How does anyone know how fast he was going?[/quote]

I know with cars they can tell how fast you were going by the length of your skid marks...perhaps similar concept?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts