Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You guys got me started, so here's some more thoughts.

Anyone serious about riding knows that hours on the road with nothing but your own thoughts leads to philosophical musings about life. I find that things I see along the way often become metaphores for life. Take mail boxes for example.

Those who live on rural roads in the northern climes have a particular problem with snow plows and mail boxes. After a good heavy snow, a snow plow rolling down the road at 50-60 MPH can push a wave of slush that can just destroy a mailbox. What I've come to notice is the various ways in which people deal with this and how that relates to life.

A typical mail box is your standard hardware store variety placed on a post at a convient distance off the road. The snow plow wave just destroys these boxes. The usual solution is to just go to the hardware store and purchase a new one. I call this the "Whine and complain, life's not fair" approach. Bad things happen that have a cost and it's not fair. Life's a bitch!

Another approach is to move the mail box away from the road to avoid the snow plow wave. This makes it hard for the mail man to deliver the mail and sometimes when the weather is bad, the mail just gets missed. This is the "Avoid bad things" mentality. Shy away from life and you won't get hurt as much but in the process, you miss out on things.

Some take to fortifying their mail boxes with brick enclosures or reinforced steel covers. This keeps the mail box in tack but it still receives the full brunt of the snow plow wave and often becomes encased in frozen slush. That means that the mail man can't open it and the mail doesn't get received. I call this the "Fortify yourself against life" approach and in doing that, a lot of life gets missed.

The last approach is to mount the mail box on a swivel, or a coil spring, or suspend it on chains. This method allows the mail box to take the hit and roll with it. Slush is flung off in the swing and the mail box remains usable and unscathed. I call this the "Go with the flow" approach. Take what life deals you and roll with it. That's the way I aspire to live my life.

Thanks mail boxes for teaching me about life!

Happy Trails!
sanoke

·
Registered
467 Posts
Mr. Sanoke, keep thinking good thoughts. But there is never a last approach (paragraph 7). It is quite common for folks in my area to make a temporary winter mail box. It's constructed of a 5 gallon bucket with a cemented in 4 x 4 topped with a mailbox. Some of them even have them with wheels on a hand truck. Works just fine until the snow melts or is uncovered from the snow wave. It does come in handy in the good weather portion of the year, just sitting in the garage (or near it) to hold daily items like your work gloves, or everyday tools, even the garden shovel used for dog poo pickup.
Thank you for the "Happy Trails" & happy tales.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've lived on the outside of a particularly aggressive curve for thirty years. My mailbox being at just that point where a speeding driver, (one driving way too fast) would need to swing his vehicle wide to go into the apex of the curve in order to slingshot back out. The problem is that this is a residential area and a 30 MPH zone. Not a NASCAR course. I've had a couple of mailboxes mowed down. The way I see it, if a driver is going to inconvenience me one more time. I'm going to see that he doesn't drive away. He will be walking. I mounted my mailbox on an industrial trailer axle/spindle with electric brake. Drum/backing plate welded solid. 3/8'wall 3" pipe welded to the flange where the axle would be. About four feet tall. Tire filled with water. Mailbox base (Platform) 1" thick 6"X10" welded to the top of the pipe with 3 passes 7018 rod. It can be moved, but it's in the area of 400lbs sitting there in the dirt. I don't see any modern automobile being able to hit it and drive away.
If that doesn't work, there's always the old claymore mine trick.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've lived on the outside of a particularly aggressive curve for thirty years. My mailbox being at just that point where a speeding driver, (one driving way too fast) would need to swing his vehicle wide to go into the apex of the curve in order to slingshot back out. The problem is that this is a residential area and a 30 MPH zone. Not a NASCAR course. I've had a couple of mailboxes mowed down. The way I see it, if a driver is going to inconvenience me one more time. I'm going to see that he doesn't drive away. He will be walking. I mounted my mailbox on an industrial trailer axle/spindle with electric brake. Drum/backing plate welded solid. 3/8'wall 3" pipe welded to the flange where the axle would be. About four feet tall. Tire filled with water. Mailbox base (Platform) 1" thick 6"X10" welded to the top of the pipe with 3 passes 7018 rod. It can be moved, but it's in the area of 400lbs sitting there in the dirt. I don't see any modern automobile being able to hit it and drive away.
If that doesn't work, there's always the old claymore mine trick.
I am all for both methods... unfortunately both are illegal

·
Registered
11,178 Posts
Rider AND thinker.

One of the better posts here by anyone in a long time.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,582 Posts
The spring return works very well. Since I went to a #1 smaller box haven't had any issues with a solid mount but I'm sure that will stress tested in the future. With the old #3 it was a constant battle keeping it on the post. Got to the point one winter that I used bungee cords but now our plow person seems to have better vsion than our previous driver. Addition of bright white reflectors on the side has been a great addition when it comes to "white out" visability. Ahh such is life in the country.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
seems that the mailbox got all the attention, while the "life" metaphor got passed over.... hmmm, now there's a metahor.

·
Registered
354 Posts
seems that the mailbox got all the attention, while the "life" metaphor got passed over.... hmmm, now there's a metahor.
I like the way those crash bars kinda curve around. (Yeah I know. Missing the entire topic of the post.)... consistent with the metaphor I suppose.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
we love the curves, in the road, on the crash bars, sometimes in a trash bar... i believe life should be lived shiny with a touch style.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
There are a couple of other solutions:

Move to somewhere without snow.
Move to the city where your mailbox is on your house.
Get a post office box.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Yes we do! So are we bikers because we are thinkers or thinkers because we are bikers?

Something to think about. :wink:
Ah, me thinks we are all thinkers to a degree so it is no surprise that some end up one the saddle of a motorcycle, the real question however is, Is what we think worthy of being read by others because of our relationship to the community of two wheels...

A poem if I may my friend

Camp Fire

CrazyDave

at the camp fire
with the flames
reflecting in their eyes
the old greybeard looked
both dangerous and peaceful
So they waited for his wisdom
hung on to each word
Pondered the meaning carefully
soaked it in
and they applied it to
their lives
thinking that following was
wise
The old greybeard
scammed them
of every dollar they had
Was he wise?
Maybe.
but they were dumber then wood
and that is for **** sure!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
You guys are making my puzzler sore! Way too much thinking!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah, me thinks we are all thinkers to a degree so it is no surprise that some end up one the saddle of a motorcycle, the real question however is, Is what we think worthy of being read by others because of our relationship to the community of two wheels...

A poem if I may my friend

Camp Fire

CrazyDave

at the camp fire
with the flames
reflecting in their eyes
the old greybeard looked
both dangerous and peaceful
So they waited for his wisdom
hung on to each word
Pondered the meaning carefully
soaked it in
and they applied it to
their lives
thinking that following was
wise
The old greybeard
scammed them
of every dollar they had
Was he wise?
Maybe.
but they were dumber then wood
and that is for **** sure!
Good one Dave! What they don't know is to find true wisdom, look in the mirror, not at some old gray beard.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
sorry guys, i tried not to... but, you have inspired me to post the piece i wrote a few weeks ago as i prepared to ride out to cal to see my family and freinds before the cold set in. yes, it was a marvellous journey, one of the best yet.

One mile at a time
by gypsy
copyright 2014

one mile at a time
the mystery is a million miles long
one mile at a time
the visions reside waft and grow like a canvas that wraps the soul
moving down the road
one mile at a time
past the stops that others take
riding the in betweens of every inch
the spaces uncharted
where the heart takes leave
wandering through the backroads of the mind
the mystery unfolds
the pictures froze
and the heart stops the soul
for the mystery was just the obvious
just a search for the balance
of heart and mind and soul
when the pictures frozen thaw
and the faces of the ones loved comes into focus
and the mystery smiles

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Hi Gypsy,

Very nice Poem, it brought a nice sense of peace to me this morning...

Glad to hear you took care of clarifying the mystery and got a chance to reunite with your family in Cali and that the trip was successful and safe.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry guys, i tried not to... but, you have inspired me to post the piece i wrote a few weeks ago as i prepared to ride out to cal to see my family and freinds before the cold set in. yes, it was a marvellous journey, one of the best yet.

One mile at a time
by gypsy
copyright 2014

one mile at a time
the mystery is a million miles long
one mile at a time
the visions reside waft and grow like a canvas that wraps the soul
moving down the road
one mile at a time
past the stops that others take
riding the in betweens of every inch
the spaces uncharted
where the heart takes leave
wandering through the backroads of the mind
the mystery unfolds
the pictures froze
and the heart stops the soul
for the mystery was just the obvious
just a search for the balance
of heart and mind and soul
when the pictures frozen thaw
and the faces of the ones loved comes into focus
and the mystery smiles
Don't apologize, it's a nice piece! Thanks for sharing it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.