Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all I started posting in Technical Discussions first then read that I was ment to post here, my bad. I am new to biking I got a 99 VT400 in November. I sold a 2Liter turbo MR2 as driving costs got so hi, and thought now might be the time to get the bike I always wanted. I didnt think I was going to be able to swing it. But a few mounths later I brought home my new girl. There is some work to be done on her but the winters are long, and I have the time.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hey welcome, nice looking scoota you have... What work are you planing to do to it..???

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
OK, I get it now from your other post. Does it really have a 400 motor?

If so, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't plug a 750 into it if the engine mount points are the same. You would need to park side by side with a 750 equipped bike and cross check brackets, exhaust, sprocket location, etc. It is hard to tell from the photo but your top works and air cleaner look identical to my '98 ACE versus the current 750 motor with its tear drop cleaner. If the fins are bolted on and not a painted casting like the posting above this one, that makes it a 'yup'.

Here is a PS afterthought....I wonder if the jugs and pistons are interchangeable with a 750 as with the HD Sportster 883 conversions to 1200? Hmmmm. Talk to a Honda mech.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome bud. i don't see many vt400's around these parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks soxOZ I was thinking of keeping it simple, new lights front and back, the chrome trim on the rear fender is dull and has little dots of rust all over it so i will change them but probably with the same ones again and a new spray job. I love the pics of your bike did you take them yourself?
Nehalem Dave: Thank for getting back to me bro I was about to call it a day but you just kicked a bit of life back into the idea. I hope you don’t mind Im posting two pics would you can take a look at and tell me if you see any major differences, if not ill take the next step and find someone with a 750 and put them side by side. Let me know if better pics would help, I just took these quick as it was raining pretty hard.

As for going to a Honda mech im afraid that would be a waist of time here, they don’t do much work on bikes and they are not very helpful, the wont check that out for me unless I am paying them to do the work. I work on cars with a friend of mine and every now and again we are forced to deal with them. Ill try my bike shop I dont know if thats something they would know off hand but they are very nice and will help if they can.
Thanks for the welcome adam.aero as you can see im hoping it wont be a 400 for much longer. I love your bike is that all custom done?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Looks identical. Will send images if you provide an email address in a PM. From the color at the headers, it makes me wonder if yours is not running rich (after market pipes and not re-jetted a good suspect). A hydrocarbon probe up the ass would provide a reading on this unless it is doing a lot of popping and smelling rich.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow well spotted and thanks it was in fact doing a bit of popping I was going to ask about it next time I had her in the shop. It would be pretty sweet if engine swap was that simple.PM sent

·
Registered
777 Posts
Thanks soxOZ I was thinking of keeping it simple, new lights front and back, the chrome trim on the rear fender is dull and has little dots of rust all over it so i will change them but probably with the same ones again and a new spray job. I love the pics of your bike did you take them yourself?

Thanks for the welcome adam.aero as you can see im hoping it wont be a 400 for much longer. I love your bike is that all custom done?
Hey thanks, yeah I took the shots, my other big hobby/passion is photography... :D

Don't know if an engine shot will help, as this is the only one I have on my web host...
Maybe the best way is to park next to a 750 and compare. Good luck on your project...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the engine shot. I will have to do a side by side at some stage, but it will be interesting and helpful to compare the pictures first.
I enjoy photography too, though I am still very green. If you have any other cool shots of the bike I would love to see them.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Just sent you the promised photos in a PM. During scouting around, I noted the Spirits seem to have the same motor but with different valve covers. Donno if space is an issue (I hoist mine up to do the valves instead of removing) or if they use the same mount points.

Between Copart, Ebay and European salvagers, you'll have no trouble finding a 750 mill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Dave. I got your mail bro that is just what I was looking for. I think you are right it is so close it looks like a straight swap. Thanks so much for going the extra mile and having a look for some 750 motors for me, that was decent. It will probably double the cost of the motor when I add the shipping but if I have to hold off for a while it will be worth the wait. Ill pop into my bike shop next week and have a chat with guys there and see how they feel about doing the work. Cars ya but bikes, I have never worked on, so it might be best left to the pros. Ill let you know what they have to say and if they have any ideas themselves. By the way if that was a pic of your bike unwashed you have to post a photo of her all cleaned and polished, that engine looked spotless. I like the blue too is that from factory or your choice?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts