Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If you ever get a chance to visit the Bishop Castle down by Rye, Colorado, do so. It's worth the trip!

Happy Trails!
sanoke

·
Registered
226 Posts
what the?.......... I'd love to present this to my towns planning committee. It took them over two years to ok a McDonalds.

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is from a review on Google. Weird but interesting.

Bishop Castle-One Man's Dream for Everyman! Bishop Castle is an enigma wrapped in a mystery. What would motivate a man to spend every day since 1969, building a castle? Jim Bishop says it is his monument to the working man; he will keep building it until the day he dies. Most days youll find him at the castle hauling stone and steel (he has already carried one-thousand tons of it) to its new location, usually high above the mountain trees. Bishop seems to be battling every government institution to make his dream a reality too. He allows visitors for free, but first they will see billboards of diatribe against "The Man," whom Bishop claims has impeded his progress at every turn. Once inside the castle though, you will be stunned at the magnitude of his vision. Although he has no formal education in architecture, he has created stone and wrought iron sculpture which reaches over 100 feet above the mountainside. Spiral staircases rise through the rock to amazing vistas and more sculptures at the summit. The journey is not for the easily frightened; there are very few guardrails and very little of the structure meets building codes. But for the brave, Bishop Castle is one of the most breathtaking, drop-jaw exhibitions ever built. Is Jim Bishop crazy, or just eccentric? A conversation with him will bring you no closer to a resolution; he is very happy in persuading the throngs about an impending Orwellian future. But no worries- listening to his stories is just as fun as the castles winding towers; you never know whats next, and youre really scared! --Doug Ritterling

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Freakin' Awesome!!! Are there any interior pics available?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I remember seeing something on this many years ago on I think a show called "That's Incredible" (Yes I have a wacked out memory) Looks like he is still going.

Dauntae

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
what the?.......... I'd love to present this to my towns planning committee. It took them over two years to ok a McDonalds.
Bishop never did get a permit to build his castle. I remember about 30 years ago, Custer County tried to get him to tear it down. He ignored them and kept building.
Custer County population is only about 4,000 people. It’s a great area to ride.

Bishop's Castle, near Rye, CO -- PHOTO TOUR (inspections, shops) - City-Data Forum

Custer County Home Page

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: I'll have to ride there and check it out. I love stuff like that. Good for him for telling the county to f*ck off...and kept building! :-D

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,550 Posts
Have to check it out on my next visit. Just got back from there Sunday.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a look from inside the Great Room.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts