Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have a time out from riding, I decided to get the front wheel powder coated white. Took it apart yesterday and will take it to my friend who runs a powder coating shop. He said that if I drop it off to him today he will take it in Monday. He said he can sneak it in and have it done by Monday evening.

Here it is all black. Still have to pull the bearings and take the tire off and valve stem out.

More pics when I get it back.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
cool cool!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Were they white before? They look white in the picture of your bike.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Were they white before? They look white in the picture of your bike.
The rear is white. The front is black. Had to make the front match the rear.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You just got this bike right? Didn't you have a Triumph, then a Vulcan, and this is the replacement for the Vulcan? I'm assuming you bought the bike with the mismatched wheels then. So do you know the story behind the mismatch?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You just got this bike right? Didn't you have a Triumph, then a Vulcan, and this is the replacement for the Vulcan? I'm assuming you bought the bike with the mismatched wheels then. So do you know the story behind the mismatch?
I did have the Thruxton, it was a great bike. Bought it new in 2006 with 21 miles on the odo. The ergos on it would tear me up on anything longer than 150 miles. So I thought I would like a cruiser. Sold the trumpet and picked up the Vulcan, it was a good bike, but I could not make myself like the laid back feet forward position. I felt like I was sitting in my lazy boy, I take naps in that chair. Found the 2002 Viffer on craigslist, the PO had just picked up a new VFR1200 and had the 800 for a great price. I absolutely love this bike. The sport touring set up is really comfortable, you can sit up straight or lay down. Best of both worlds, the power is fantastic. 100 HP, six speed, Fuel injected, 60 ft lbs torque, linked braking.

The PO had the rear powder coated because of the single sided swing arm. He was not willing to take the front off because he said he didn't want to tear the brakes and everything off the bike. I believe it was called laziness. He did have service records for all services that were done at the local Honda stealership. The front wheel came off easy. It does need new brakes. But they are drop out pads, pull the pin at the bottom and they fall out, slide the new ones in and push the pin back in and whammo! They are made for quick changes.

On another note,
I woke up to a wheel on my front porch. He left a bill that totaled exactly 1 BBQ home grilled burger and 8 bottles of beer. The wheel looks good, he mounted the tire and pressed in the bearings. I think it is worth a bit more than he billed, so I think it will be 1 Grilled Porterhouse steak, as many beers as he wants and maybe even some grilled veggies.

Now if I could only find my locktite I will get the rotors on it and mounted back on the bike. The shop I use is closed today for labor day, so i will pick up brakes tomorrow. Then I need to find a right rear passenger mount. The whole thing, it came with a left, but the PO could not find the right side.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here it is, my friend powder coated the rotor mount. After spending half an hour per side, I finally got the rotor mounts cleaned off. It was a pain! A combination of razor blade and sand paper. My
arms are tired, BUT.......

Totally worth it! Love the look now.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That looks sharp! Glad your still doing well since your surgery.
Getting a bit stir crazy. Finding little projects to keep my mind!

Thanks all for the well wishes. We are both doing fantastic. I didn't realize I was married to a Angel. She told me that even if she was not a match for me, she would have donated as a good Samaritan donor. She continually makes me be a better man.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Looks GREAT! It sure is nice to have friends! Excuse me for not already knowing but what surgery did you have? I hope the recovery is going good for you! Good Luck!
Coop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.