Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a 83 shadow 750, after replacing the starter and starter gear, draining all fluids, cleaning carbs and buying a new battery i got her running!!!! she runs great takes gas well (running a hose from the fuel pump into a fresh can of gas.) im now ready to tackle the clutch, breaks and shaft oil replacement.... i started with the clutch. cleaned master cyclinder and filled with fresh fluid.. tried bleeding line by opening the bleeder and engaging the lever. lots of air came out at first as the system was dry when i started. im now getting fluid through the line but still have no pressure (it pulls real easy) when i engage the lever....is there something im missing? this is my first street bike i have owned dirt bikes and 4 wheelers, not an expert wrench by far but id like to im a fast learner.....ant help would be appreciated :?

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you've bled the line pretty completely then I don't think you really have to worry. It is a hydraulic clutch, so maybe it's just easier than all those dirtbikes. Take if off the stand and roll it in neutral for a little while then hold the clutch in and shift it into gear. There may be some resistance (especially if it sat for a while and the oil got squeezed out of the clutch plates) but so long as it rolls without too much trouble you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I had to drain the clutch once because fluid got a little too low before I filled it back up again :oops: .

Before I did that the clutch was *barely* engaging at all. I would have to have the clutch 100% down and even then I would feel the bike want to move forward a bit.

So long as the clutch starts to engage around the 50% mark and you've got fluid leaking out when you open the clutch instead of air I would say you're in good shape. As mentioned, the hydraulic clutch doesn't offer much resistance when you clamp down on it the way a cable clutch does. Just make sure it's engaging where it should be and you're fine.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I thought I'd offer a tip that I've found helpful on bleeding anything.

Pick up a self-brake-bleeding kit. You can get them at harbor frieght and I've even seen them at O'Reilly's for a buck or so. Using on of these guys, you don't have to hold in the clutch while you tighten the bolt. It gets rid of the air and keeps fluid in the tube right behind the valve. Just pump till all the air is gone and then tighten using both hands (no more having the wife hold in the clutch while you tigthen the valve back down.) Best part is that since it's a buck, you can just throw it away when your done.

Probably old news, but I thought I'd share just the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your help.. im gonna try it this weekend! getting spring fever cant wait to get her on the road. ill let you know what happens

Thanks again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not to be discouraging but: We bought an 85 VT700 that had been sitting for a while and it took considerable more than that to get the clutch back in working condition. We bled and bled and bled. Not that you have to but we ended up replacing the slave cylinder. My point being, bleeding is worse than a nightmare, banjo bolts, etc. You are wise and will reduce headaches if you go ahead and get the brake bleeding vacuum. O'Reilley's around $30 "mightyvac" I think.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 1985 Shadow. Try bleeding the system again, but bleed it from the banjo bolts both by the clutch master and the clutch slave. I went through a quart of brake fluid before I figured out that there was an air pocket "behind" the banjo bolt up by the clutch master.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the helpfull input!! i finally decided to bleed the banjo bolts at the master cylinder and the slave. this took all of 20 mins. the bolt at the master cylinder had quite a bit of ait when i opened it up. after bleding the bolt 3 times, i finally got a good amount of resistance at the cluch lever!! went to the slave cylinder and did the same thing, not much air there but there was alittle. finally went back to the old bleeder on the slave cylinder and gave it a few cranks no air just fluid. topped off the master cylinder and she shifts thru the gears great!!! there is a bit of a clunck going into 1st but i hear thats a honda trademark. once again thanks to everyone for the help, spring fever has set in fully just waiting for the ohio weather to break so i can get her on the road!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm glad if my info helped. Like I said I went through about a quart of brake fluid, a lot of frustration and quite a few swear words before someone passed that info along to me. And I had the same reaction when everything finally came together. Enjoy your ride. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts