Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know I have read a couple places on this forum that the switch for the turn signals on the Shadows have given people some trouble. I am not sure if the problem I am having is related to a bad contact or not though and not sure if cleaning it will fix the problem. My blinkers work perfectly if the temperatures are above freezing, but as soon as the temp gets below that 32 degree mark they get inconsistent.

Yesterday it was 11 degrees out and I had no turn signals the entire 10 miles to my school. On the way back it was about 23 degrees and they worked half the time. Everything else electrical on the bike works perfectly fine.

I was thinking maybe moisture in the switch that was freezing and causing problems or could it be something else?

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
I would switch the turn style relay to an electronic one. The old stylr relays have a bimetel thermal contact that can be troublesome in cold weather.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've actually noticed that happening. On a cool or cold morning, they don't seem to work at all for a while. Then as I ride and continue to use them, they begin to work and continue to function for the rest of the day. Only a problem while cold, and only the first few times I use them.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Your due for a switch cleaning. The grease in the switch is dirty and cold and the tiny springs and balls in there get stuck and don't allow the contacts to connect. Take it apart on a big towel spread out on your carpet inside your house. If not you will spend the rest of the afternoon cussing and crawling around on your garage floor looking for that damn little ball. Take it COMPLETELY apart and clean it with an old tooth brush and solvent. Taking it halfway apart and spraying it with brake cleaner will not fix it. You have to get all that old gunk out of there. Install it with a SMALL amount of dielectric grease. Too much and it will just collect more dirt and give you more problems in the near future. I highly suggest taking a picture of every step of disassembly. You'll thank yourself later.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
I agree with the fact that your switch needs proper maintenance, I personally do not use "dielectric grease" for switches...
I clean and lube with products made for the contacts within these switches...

LLLL bring it over, the lift can be empty by the time you get here :D

^^^OOPS! ^^
I use dielectric grease for keeping electrical connections dry and corrosion free

·
Registered
354 Posts
When I first got the bike, I saw how it operated and assumed it was held on by a latching relay. Pushbutton normally closed contacts to break the latch. When it began to malfunction is when I researched and found that it is indeed mechanical. I knew it was going to get a good cleaning in the near future. It's frustrating to approach a turn and not be able to signal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
O3--go to this link https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...versal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/ and order the eletronic version. Cost is $11.94 total to your house. simply remove your existing mechanical flasher and plug this one in and never have to worry about your cold weather blinkers again. I had the same problem and tried all the cleaning suggestions you see in previous threads, but this little fix worked for me. My unit was inside the cover of the stearing head which required removal of the gas tank to access, but was a very easy and effective solution.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
IF you`re gonna buy a flasher unit, before cleaning your switch OR after the cleaning wasn`t the problem (%) I bought mine locally from O`Reileys Auto Parts...
Had to install 1/4" connectors though...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Scaredofmyownshadow has the correct answer. I had exactly this problem on my Shadow. When commuting in cold the blinkers would slow or not work. The cure was to completely dissasemble switch, clean everything (I used rubbing alchohol I believe) and lube and re-assemble with fresh dialectric grease. The electronic relay did not do the trick for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,445 Posts
Correct answer is both style of flasher and/or lube job. Colder temps do effect mechanical flashers and has for many a years. Clean/lube 1st. then replace flasher if needed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses. I will give that a try next weekend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the same issue but only on the left turn. I turn it on while the bike warms up. after bout 1 min of ticking it starts working. Then its good the whole ride. I will upgrade as well, but not till next winter

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, got the relay from SuperbrightLEDS.com
Still have a issue, but I am taking the turn signal control apart this weekend to make the final repairs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, just wanted to give a final answer on the blinker issue. Cleaning the switch worked great. All the old grease had become black and glue like. Cleaned it up and works like a champ. Good call fellow shadow riders. I should have listened from the get go, if it was not for the hard way I would never do anything.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
I try to learn from the mistakes others make, it`s easier on my pocketbook :D

That`s why I offered my experience when you asked ;)

$2 in cleaner/lube sure beats $14 for a flasher unit :D

Live and learn...
Glad it`s fixed!!!

EDIT^^^ I wonder IF the original poster got his problem fixed???
( I thought that was you mikebte) My mistake!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Scaredofmyownshadow has the correct answer.
Just did mine red switch grease cold gummed up and preventing from operating correctly started to burn switch contacts out. Springs not pressing contacts.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Your due for a switch cleaning. The grease in the switch is dirty and cold and the tiny springs and balls in there get stuck and don't allow the contacts to connect. Take it apart on a big towel spread out on your carpet inside your house. If not you will spend the rest of the afternoon cussing and crawling around on your garage floor looking for that damn little ball. Take it COMPLETELY apart and clean it with an old tooth brush and solvent. Taking it halfway apart and spraying it with brake cleaner will not fix it. You have to get all that old gunk out of there. Install it with a SMALL amount of dielectric grease. Too much and it will just collect more dirt and give you more problems in the near future. I highly suggest taking a picture of every step of disassembly. You'll thank yourself later.
This sounds like a shure shot way to clean the turn switch. Gona give it a try Sat. Thanks SCAREDOFMYOWNSHADOW.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally got around too cleaning the switch and it needed it. When I put it back together though if I tighten the screw holding the switch too much though the switch doesn't work. If I loosen the screw to wear it does work though I feel like it wiggles woo freely. Is this normal and I just never noticed it or did I put something back together wrong?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmm could cold weather be the reason why back in Dec when I took my bike out the little blinker light below the speedo that tells you your blinkers are still on was not working? It worked fine when I put it away in the fall. Could it just be burnt out?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No everything works but the switch. If I tighten it past a point the switch jams but if I loosen it enough to work it feels almost too loose.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts