Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep blowing that fuse when I turn on my 1988 Honda shadow 600, the running light for my brake/license plate light stops working, but the brake light still works when I use them. Any ideas?

Circuit component Finger Office equipment Beer Nail

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,348 Posts
If it is the tail fuse maybe the harness is chafed up around the steering area and when you turn it grounds it out and the fuse blows. It would power the front running lights, so goes up front.
Try turning one way or the other to see which blows the fuse If the harness gets tight that is a clue.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Two different circuits, the tail light circuit has a short to ground. I'd leave the blown fuse in, get a multi-meter check from the equipment side of the blown fuse to ground. use the volts setting to determine which side of the fuse is power with key on and which side goes to the tail etc. Resistance (ohms) would have to be less than 2 ohms to blow a 10 amp fuse. Start unplugging connectors in that circuit until the low resistance goes away, then check your way down the leg that had the low resistance.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
Could be in the meter OR the taillight circuit, Check BOTH...
OR
Bring it over, we`ll go over it with you and find that Gremlin...
Gotta Bell?

Dennis

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
As they are on the same fuse, I'd call it the same "circuit" just different legs of that circuit... Semantics,,,

I was actually referring to the brake light as the different circuit,,, didn't make myself real clear there

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
Winker, Horn & STOP are separate from Meter/Tail fuses...

Yes, no schematic in sight right now, BUT those running lights & the meter is Tee`d or Y`d off somewhere most likely...

Follow BOTH,
Dennis

Bring it over

·
Registered
769 Posts
Fuse blows says this is tied to more loops at the fuse box.
Alex, I'll take winker horn stop for 5A.
Vanna White turns the board, I mean, disconnects the winker, the horn, the stop connectors from the main harness.
Survey says; reconnect one loop at a time until you find one of those loops that blows the fuse. There you narrowed it down to that combined loop using the one fuse for it.

Fuse blowing is the loop's (+) wire grounding direct to bare metal. Something either etched thru, or is close to something rubbing off the plastic covering and now can touch both wires together that way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alex, I'll take winker horn stop for 5A.
Vanna White turns the board, I mean, disconnects the winker, the horn, the stop connectors from the main harness.
Survey says; reconnect one loop at a time until you find one of those loops that blows the fuse. There you narrowed it down to that combined loop using the one fuse for it.
You can't play more than two different game shows at one time during electrical diagnosis per Honda TSB 12434.6 lol

OP hopefully you got this figured out. Let us know what you found when you get a chance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts