Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the old classics.

I was wondering what this guy did for a living to afford such a place. :)

Charlevoix, Mi is one of the coolest and most scenic towns in Michigan. We used to catch the ferry there to go Beaver Island where my Grandparents had a home.

If your an old boat lover you will drool over this guys setup. :)

Boat Owner's Paradise : Home & Garden Television

Enjoy,

Chris

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
...you know who owns Four Winns boats now?...Tom Gores the guy who most likely will be purchasing the Detroit Pistons for about $400 mil....

..so I'm sure that Mr. Winns here got a fat chunk of change for his boat company...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I lived in Charlevoix and had a old wooden boat. I didn't have a boathouse, but I did live in a trailerhouse for a while. Does that count?
I actually was stationed at an Air Force Radar site that used to be in Bayshore, Michigan back in 1974-1976 and we lived in Charlevoix. I have good memories of Lake Michigan, Lake Charlevoix, and countless smaller lakes. The steelhead, salmon, and lake trout fishing was absoloutely fantastic.
One time, we launched in Lake Charlevoix and three of us were heading out through a narrow channel towards Lake Michigan early in the morning (about 3am). We saw this big bright light that we could not identify. As the light got brighter, we eventually made out the outline of a huge iron ore freighter coming in. With the iron ore freighter being way bigger than my little 14 foot wood boat, I quickly established that he had the right of way. With a sense of urgency, I spun the boat around and throttled the motor however the motor died. At this point the iron ore freighter is very close, bearing down on us and we can now hear some guy way up on the bow yelling down to us, "I'd get out of there if I were you". Right at that moment, the engine finally started and we headed back to a safe spot where we could wait for the big freighter to pass. After waiting for about 40 minutes, we finally resumed our journey.
A few months later a buddy and I were fishing for lake trout about a mile offshore when my motor died. The rings in the old motor finally let loose. We changed the plugs and had no compression. It was a long paddle in and my buddy was ringing my ears all the way in. After that I finally decided that I needed to rebuild the motor. The motor worked well after the rebuild.
My buddy now lives on the other side of Idaho and occasionally he and his wife come by to visit. You know the old fishing expediitons are often brought back up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I live about 50 miles south of Charlevoix and have done some work in that house for the Winns. Absolutely incredible house... and very nice folks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts