Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’morning everyone. Looking for some input on bobber kits for the VT750. Are there any places out there aside from blue collar bobbers that put these kits together? Or, any recommended sites where I can put together more or less the same type package for a little cheaper?

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
690 Posts
Don’t kit it, piece things together yourself and take the time to make it your own. Cookie cutter bobber kits are lazy, the modifications done to any ride are supposed to speak to others about the owner, a bolt-on off the shelf bobber kit tells me the owner wanted some style, just not their own.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Trying to find a "kit" is the laziest way to customize a bike and takes away the personalization aspect.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I got parts here and there. Seat and turn signals from Blue Collar, bars off Amazon, risers from Dennis Kirk, and tires from MotoX. Made my own exhaust and I’m almost done fabbing up my rear fender from a 60’s scrambler. After that just some powder coating and I will be all done. Heck, Blue Collar even put my bike on their site and I only have their seat and turn signals.
All up I have $1200 in it and $300 of that was a new welder.
It’s supposed to be unique when you build. No “kit” will give you that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my opinion, in another ten years, all these bobbed Shadows are going to be selling for $500 - $800, while the few that were left stock will be commanding prices of $4 to $5K.

It's a damn shame!

And get offa my LAWN!

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,445 Posts
In my opinion, in another ten years, all these bobbed Shadows are going to be selling for $500 - $800, while the few that were left stock will be commanding prices of $4 to $5K.

It's a damn shame!

And get offa my LAWN!
Depends how they are bobbed. Art will always be art. I've had people try to offer me 6 times what I have invested into this bike and they went home with nothing more than pics
20190803_091820.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Try buying a chopper for $600- $800 just because the fad died down doesnt make the bike worthless. At least not where I live
But we are 45 years after the peak of the chopper craze, not 10 to 15 years. Choppers built in the initial wave are well into their appreciation cycle. In the late 90s, you could easily buy a jap chopper, or even a Harley, for small money. A stock Honda UJM with intact side covers and factory exhaust, will bring a better price than any chopper unless it has auspicious provenance.

Vehicles all follow a depreciation then appreciation curve and value of customs tends to bottom out at the intrinsic value of the components, because they are no longer cohesive representations of the type. If that chopper included a well made, springer or girder front end, and a Panhead engine, it's going to have value, just not as much as the bone stock bike that Pan came from.

Good art, by good artists has value once the artist is recognized. Somebody's kid's crayon drawing is valuable to only to them. Unfortunately, these cookie cutter customs are doing nothing to help the value of your work, which I must say, looks very nice.

And, of course, if a machine is largely incomplete or cosmetically debilitated, there's no reason to preserve it in stock shape. Hardtails, however, are an affectation that most people like better in their imagination, than on the road.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
3 Posts
But a cheap welder and spend time learning how to use it. Then head down to your local motorcycle scrap yard and find something you like, take it home, and get creative with the fit.

The only place you CANNOT go cheap is the frame and forks. If it breaks it can kill you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts