Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a VLX600CD, 97/98 and I'm having issues where after rebuilding the carb and adjusting the air/fuel mixture, it'll run fine at first then coming back from test run all of a sudden bogs down in 3rd gear and no power output in 4th gear. I even went with smaller jets (from 45 to 42). Any ideas?

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,244 Posts
When you say it runs fine at first how long is that?

Reactions: RollaTom

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,512 Posts
Did it run different before the carb work?
Look at the color of the spark plugs they are your mixture feedback.

Reactions: RollaTom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you say it runs fine at first how long is that?
Maybe for about half hour tops with roughly 5-7 min test runs. The father in law (way more experience than me) would adjust it and say 1-3 is good, it's just 4th you have to ease the throttle into it and get maybe up 55-65 mph. I take it back out shortly after to get gas, and it bogs in 3rd-4th gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did it run different before the carb work?
Look at the color of the spark plugs they are your mixture feedback.
It had not ran for 13 years. Carb was basically torn apart in a shed and left in there, neglected. The air box (which was replaced with velocity stacks) had nests and acorns in there. The original owner gave her son the bike running perfectly fine, no issues at all, and he had dreams to do stuff but no money or motivation.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
128 Posts
my bike runs fine until im at 75 mph for about a mile then boggs all the way down to 55 then wont go after that lmk if you figure it out

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
447 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery thing...like the tank not venting properly or maybe a fuel line kinking or collapsing for some reason. I've seen issues where a fuel line will collapse after the bike warms up. It happens when the hose is a bit too long and then expands due to heat causing it to then kink. Fuel flow is then restricted resulting in the loss of power.

·
Registered
1989 Honda Shadow VT600C
128 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery thing...like the tank not venting properly or maybe a fuel line kinking or collapsing for some reason. I've seen issues where a fuel line will collapse after the bike warms up. It happens when the hose is a bit too long and then expands due to heat causing it to then kink. Fuel flow is then restricted resulting in the loss of power.
i know my fuel line is too long i had to zip tie it out of the way of my leg also my fuel cap says "not for use of a fuel filler cap" (previous owner did this not me) :LOL: things to check. i will keep that in mind and as for
JWVLX600
Maybe your plugs? just throwing something out there for ya. im still new to this but learning a lot from this forum and everyone helping me out

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,244 Posts
Velocity stacks can make getting the fuel ratio difficult. Did you by chance get the original air box?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hate to say it but I wouldn't waste much time and money on that bike. Probably one of the worst bikes Honda ever made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts