Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Patrick and I own a 2002 Honda Shadow ACE 750. It has 7500 Miles. (6500 when I bought it from a dealer)

For the first 1000 miles I drove it there was not a problem in the world with it. Nothing at all.

Now its winter. I store the motorcycle in a garage (not heated but not freezing) and I do ride it occasionally back and forth to work (3 min drive not enough to warm up)

Anyway here is my problem:

Every single gear (1-5) and Neutral bog down when I floor the motorcycle or even give it just a ½ turn. The motorcycle sounds like its going to die. I am having this problem that in first gear I can even make it past 25 mph.

ITS DRIVING ME INSANE!

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have you made any changes to the intake or exhaust? Even changing the air filter can have an effect on things.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does it help if you leave the choke on partially? Mine runs better if I leave the choke on a little during the first 5 minutes or so, otherwise it is too lean for the cold temps. Does it run any better after it has completely warmed up?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
about 10 min of warm up time every time.

I haven't cleaned the filter yet.

I guess ill take it in for a tune up if this problem persists.

The choke does help a little bit. But this literally makes the bike undriveable.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
patrykslom said:
about 10 min of warm up time every time.

I haven't cleaned the filter yet.

I guess ill take it in for a tune up if this problem persists.

The choke does help a little bit. But this literally makes the bike undriveable.
Tune-up? Just a $50-60 spark plug change.

Clean the air filter(at least check it) and change the spark plugs (<$2 each at any auto parts store -use the recommended NGK plugs) See if that fixes it.

If not dump the fuel in the tank and replace with clean fuel then use the recommended amount of seafoam or other carb cleaner.....and try to run some fuel through it. Maybe some gummed up jets but if you are running it evey week or two it shouldn't be a problem.

Your symptoms sound like a lot of things from a really dirty intake (not likely with only 7500 miles) to a clogged exhaust system....yes mice do sometimes foul the exhaust pipes up with nest debris or store corn in the pipes...or make nests in the air box.

But doing the easiest and quickest things first will usually fix the problem with the Shadows. Check air filter, replace plugs.....go from there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right on with the advise on changing the plugs, air filter and cleaning the tank with Seafoam. Had the same problem this past summer and that advise worked great. With cooler weather the motor's ailments will appear a lot faster than in warm weather. If you have an "iffy" plug then when it gets cold that plug will crap out on you. The colder air through a clogged filter will definitely choke the carbs and if your gas tank has the smallest restriction in it from dirt or if the carbs are not working up to their capability then cold weather will definitely show up in stalling out or sluggish behaviour. If after you've done those 3 small items andthe bike is still not responding then you know there is something fairly serious with your fuel supply or ignition. Can't imagine that though with only 7500 miles on it...
Krusty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.