Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what size the two bolts are that retain the seat to bike? I did a search and can't find the size.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the link bro. I was trying to just go find them at the hardware store though :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just did a quick search of the VT600 manual and found the bolts as listed to be removed to remove the seat, but no size was mentioned

·
Registered
740 Posts
I appreciate the link bro. I was trying to just go find them at the hardware store though :)

Would a wax mould be anygood if you've any candles around? If you lightly grease the threads and pour in the wax, should be ok to get out when cold.

You could measure the bolt then too or take the mould to your store.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did a quick search of the VT600 manual and found the bolts as listed to be removed to remove the seat, but no size was mentioned
I had the same problem. I figured it would at least have the thread size but it didn't.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would a wax mould be anygood if you've any candles around? If you lightly grease the threads and pour in the wax, should be ok to get out when cold.

You could measure the bolt then too or take the mould to your store.
I tried to use plumbers putty, but I couldn't keep it from tearing. Can't find any candles to make a mold. I don't know where they went. I think I swept them up after I grinded the license plate piece off of the tail. ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I took a wild guess I'd say either a 4mm or a 6mm. I have a lot of metric bicycle parts laying around from my days as a bicycle mechanic. One of those bicycle bolts did indeed fit the left seat bolt (it was missing when I bought the bike). I used a metric bolt, and again I have no idea of the size, with a hex wrench head. This made it that much easier to get that bolt in and out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will just go grab a few up and a few down I guess at the Home Depot tomorrow. See if I can't get lucky lol. If I find a match I'll post it here for future reference. Thanks for the help guys :)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
M6 X 10 I do believe.

EDIT....Rats...old dad beat me to it. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone know what size the two bolts are that retain the seat to bike? I did a search and can't find the size.
I have a 2003 VT600, which of course might be different from your 88.
The seat bolts on my bike are M6-1.00X.80 SHCS(socket head cap screw) with black oxide finish.
It seems to me that it is no big problem to determine if your bike also uses an M6. Simply buy an M6 at home depot or lowes or ACE hardware. If it screws in easily, that's the right thread. Otherwise your bike probably uses an M8.

BTW I replaced these two screws with stainless phillips pan head by 25mm. Then run two hex nuts down against the head of each screw to serve as a spacer. It's much easier to remove and install the screws with a phillips screwdriver instead of struggling with a short allen wrench (especially if you have saddlebags).

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
If you can fit them in use butterfly bolts or wing bolts, that way you don't need a tool to remove your seat.

John.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The length doesn't matter that much as there's a lot of room for the part of the 6mm bolt that screws in pass the nut welded on the mating bracket. Some use a longer bolt and slip on a tubing to the threaded part for easier access. That is, the head of the bolt sticks further out instead way the heck down there. Looks like a shoulder bolt, but with a shoulder bolt there's an unthreaded portion on the shaft that reduces the grip (see below). Another option is to slot the hole on the seat bracket so just loosening the bolt allows removing the seat.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late post. Health problems appointments and labs. All good now for the most part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts