Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about side zippered boots; anybody here own and wear them.

I have a pair of lace-up (work style) Dickie's which are sort of a hassle to lace up for short rides. In fact, if I'm taking a short ride I'm so tempted to just throw on a pair of slip on shoes. I know, I know..... VERY DANGEROUS. So I'm thinking a pair of side zippered boots might be quicker and easier.

Your thoughts?
Phil

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
I have a pair of Tourmaster zip up riding boots and love the ease of on/off. Laces are ok, but....them getting tangled on a hey peg ain't fun....

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got 2 pair of side zippers and like them both. I like the Tourmaster.
Waterproof isn't.
I don't like walking in them if I have to go very far.
If I have lots of walking to do such was going to the store, I prefer my western boots.
Also, keeping the boot jack by the door makes it simple to walk in the house and slip them off.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
VERY DANGEROUS.
I never knew slip on shoes were dangerous. I’ve worn them off and on my whole life with no issues. Does the government know about this? We need warnings!

Don’t take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, dont mind the messy room (packing to head 1200 miles on the bike next week)
But I went with a cheap route to make sure if even enjoy the zip ups. I'm used to military issue black leather lace ups but these boots (in pic below) are now my everyday walking boots too cuz they're so comfortable.
They're called "J75 by JUMP" and come in various colors too. I think I paid like 60 tops for them, and have yet to ruin them (where normal boots last maybe a year)

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
slip on shoes won't stay on in a mishap.
Someone must have put mine back on me in my two wrecks then.

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
I liked my zip ups when I had `em...
Lace them in front to fit good, then use the zipper from then on...
Dan Post has a good one,
Dennis

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
slip on shoes won't stay on in a mishap.

When I first came back into riding in 2007 I became ATGATT but now I just don't give a chit. I wear pull on Justin's and jackets w/o back pad's. I look at it this way at 66 yrs. old, if I go down I'm going to be so broken up the boots staying on is the least of my worries but bending over and speed lacing my GI's is only necessary for extended road trips/weather encounter's. I tried side zip Bates but found them uncomfortable.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Sounds like you found the reason for your wrecks.....:p
They rear ended me because my shoes were dangerous? Makes sense.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They rear ended me because my shoes were dangerous? Makes sense.

Sorry, I thought we were being sarcastic after your comment about someone putting your shoes back on after accidents. I didn't realize you were serious.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Sorry, I thought we were being sarcastic after your comment about someone putting your shoes back on after accidents. I didn't realize you were serious.
I am never serious.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I started riding in tennis shoes, but very soon after switched to boots. I won't ride with anything less substantial and definitely won't ride in any boot with with laces.

My preferred boot is, like others mentioned, the Touratech Solution model. It has a side zipper. I've had them for 15 years and like them so much that I've already had them resoled once and would do so again if needs be. They are comfortable off the bike, too. I've walked/hiked in them for miles.... Note though: I've had them pretty well broken in for years, so they've long ago conformed to my feets.

I also have a pair of leather harness boots...No laces, no zipper, just pull on and off. They're cool looking and comfortable enough when riding, but for me, they aren't great walking boots. I don't wear them much anymore. You'll want to get some boot pulls and a boot jack to get them on and off easily. Because of that, I rarely wear them on camping trips.

(It's best to get boots fitted by someone who knows what they are doing at a brick and mortar store if you can.)

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
(It's best to get boots fitted by someone who knows what they are doing at a brick and mortar store if you can.)
I've got a Red Wing Shoe's store right down the street from me. They custom fit shoes but mostly working shoes and boots. They're made so they can be repaired by Red Wing when needed. My son is a Master Electrician and that's the only place he buys work shoes. I'll check them out first, pricey but might be worth it in the long run.
Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
Yes @Phil , Red Wing are on my feet as I type this note...
I love my Red Wing Boots...
I started buying them in the mid 80s when I was doing powerline construction/repair and still buy Red Wings...
I really like the water-PROOF feature, I`ve NOT found a true waterproof other than this brand...
I`d be working in swamps all day in south GA, and their "Lineman Boot" was the choice I made for the entirity of that career...
Yes, they`re expensive, BUT worth the extra HondaBuck$ You`ll spend...
After you "break In" your feet to them, they`re comfortable too, ;)
DENNIS

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have 2 pair of Danner zip up waterproof boots, like them very much and the waterproof part works very well. Pretty comfortable to walk in as well once broken in, have done light hikes in them when on bike trips.

these are the newer ones: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007SPHAZS

·
Registered
26 Posts
Little late here, but I've always worn side zip tac military boots. Welco, then Bates, now Maelstrom. Lace 'em to fit, and then easy on, easy off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts