Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shadow ace 1999,

So i'm about to order the head gasket(s) for my rear cylinder as it was smoking white.
It got burned trough, apparently by the bike running too hot. I'll need to run it richer ...
(This was probably done by po)

Question is, the back is off. I'll take the front off when the back is installed again.
Do I order two and just replace the gaskets in both cylinders ? or do I only replaced the failed one, as it was smoking ?

if it's working don't touch it ? or better make sure all is fixed ?

this is the state my gaskets are in :

·
Registered
Shadow VT700c 1986, ST1300 08
489 Posts
If you're doing the job worth doing it properly.
If one of the gaskets is burnt the other won't be so healthy that you can ignore it.
By doing just the one you are at risk soon you will need to do the other one.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,026 Posts
It is a crap shoot, do you feel lucky?
The whole engine was likely too hot.

I agree with @Husoi for the safe choice.
The only sure way is while it is apart replace both head and base gaskets and make sure the sealing surfaces are still flat.

Whatever you choose good luck.

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
219 Posts
I learned long ago that if you're going to do it, it's worth doing it well.
You're already saving a bunch of $$ doing this yourself, so definitely worth doing both.
Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out - Kevin

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It's a gamble, I took a chance on a Mazda for the wife once. Bought it really cheap, being pretty sure it had a burned valve.

Pulled the head, definitely burned valves, 2 looked pretty bad, sent head to machine shop, looked rest of the engine over, 1 small scratch down one cylinder wall. thought ummmm, should be ok,,, Got the head back and installed, fired it up and tick,tick,tick,,, Back apart, pulled pan and the one piston, It had broken ring lands and rings, that was what had scored the cylinder wall, so new piston, rings, hone and back together again. Was a Mazda 323 hatchback, wife loved that car, drove it for years.

So what's more important, doing a bit more work now and spending a bit more now or chance doing it all again?

Reactions: kesanders

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,618 Posts
LOL! Yeah, that’s a tough one. I tend to be more of the, ‘If it looks and runs good, don’t touch it’ mindset, but I also agree with the ’If you’re going to do it, do it once and do it right’ mindset. The rear cylinder does run hotter than the front, so you never know. That being said, it was a used bike, so who knows what it went through…

If you’re not in any hurry, have the parts, and can turn it around fast? Do it. If you want to get back on the road, take a good look at the front plugs. If they look any ways lean at all, do it. If not, feel free to throw the engine back in and get riding…

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I orderer two pairs of gaskets to be sure.
I indeed have no idea what happened to the bike. I got it from a dealer and had the radiator replaced under the one year warranty they gave because it had a very very tiny leak.
I also had it get checked recently because they battery kept dying, turns out the connections to the stator and rectifier where burned. (the stator ones i had fixed within two days when i bought it, the R/R wires held up pretty well for two years) and now this.
I decided to put my own head in so I can make sure it's done well this time.
The piston looks good apart from some tiny build up. I'll take the front head / cylinder of too when i get the rear back on.

I'll keep you guys posted !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got two pairs of gaskets.
both head gaskets where in a sorry state.
the crankcase gaskets, the one below the cylinder, where in a very good state actually, all was intact. but I changed them out anyway, now that the engine lay open...

Thanks for all the suggestions !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts