Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the forums here but I have already learned a lot in the last day or two that has helped me get as far as I have already.

My Shadow I just purchased from a guy who has owned it since 1989, it's a 1986 1100 Honda Shadow and he recently had it literally sitting outside for two years.

I was able to get it to turn over and with the help of my neighbor we were able to get it up to four thousand RPM today by manually choking it with our hands: after removing the gas tank, air filter canister, etc.

Well I wanted to introduce myself here as instructed by the admins but I was hoping to ask a question as well if that is OK.

The choke cable has been stuck and was unable to move until today, we removed the handle bar knob and broke the cable loose with a little PB Blaster and some elbow grease. However, while we were able to get them to move freely after a bit the choke was still not engaging and after reading this post (http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/67775-stuck-choke.html) I determined the enrichment valves are the issue since these were the only two remaining cables I was unable to move freely.

Just tonight I completely removed these from the carb body, not only was one of the springs missing the far end a lot fo gunk and rust poured out. More PB blaster and I have them pretty cleaned up. But I am wondering if there is anything else I need to free up as the cables are ultimately just pulling at the valves in there and it appears to have a sort of flat head area for me to adjust these I assume.

I am a total novice when it comes to this and I have previously rebuilt a carburetor once in my life with no other mechanical knowledge. So I was hoping someone could help me out and let em know if there is something else I should do, or if you recommend I continue to remove the entire carburetor to clean it out as well.

With the weather being so beautiful I am hoping to just fix the choke and get this baby running ASAP.

Anyways, thanks for all the other help you all provide and you have really helped me gain a lot fo knowledge already.

My name is Mike and I hope to not only get some help but eventually share my knowledge as my project progresses.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,079 Posts
or if you recommend I continue to remove the entire carburetor to clean it out as well.
This. If you've had to go this far already, better to just go all the way. You have no idea what else may be wrong and I don't know about you, but I would rather not create more work for myself later on down the road and be sure that the carbs are clean now.

It's really not that bad to work on these carbs. Just get yourself a Honda Service Manual and go to it. :)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
welcome

1 - 3 of 3 Posts