Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These things suck! At least my front tires do. I purchased one last spring because the sidewall had major cracking going on. I just did a quick winter inspection of my mothballed Shadow and noticed that the front tire again is starting to crack. Friggin thing only has 2500 miles on it! I know that these things have a "shelf life", but wtf? I made sure it was up on wood instead of the concrete floor, and always maintained the proper pressure; am I doing something wrong? ...wait, yes I did, I bought Dunlop! :mad:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
it may not be a Dunlop brand issue. it may be that who sold you the tire had a new tire that had sat around for too long. they have date codes that can tell you when it was made.

that said, i'd never put a dunlop on my ride. I'm an Avon venom guy. love these tires and they last a long time. and grip the road really well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
it may not be a Dunlop brand issue. it may be that who sold you the tire had a new tire that had sat around for too long. they have date codes that can tell you when it was made.
I'd second that. It was probably old stock. :mad:

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Friggin thing only has 2500 miles on it! I know that these things have a "shelf life", but wtf?
As already mentioned, what is the all important date molded onto the side of the tire? On questions about engine related problems, it's relevant to cite the mileage on the odometer. Similar thing with date with tire problems. And yea, perhaps I've been watching too much Judge Judge. I'm trying to be humorous. Meanwhile, what means you by, "and always maintained the proper pressure"? By bike-manual psi or by the tire-manufacturer's?

Rear Tire

Front Tire

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As already mentioned, what is the all important date molded onto the side of the tire? On questions about engine related problems, it's relevant to cite the mileage on the odometer. Similar thing with date with tire problems. And yea, perhaps I've been watching too much Judge Judge. I'm trying to be humorous. Meanwhile, what means you by, "and always maintained the proper pressure"? By bike-manual psi or by the tire-manufacturer's?

Rear Tire

Front Tire
tire manufacturer

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Pirelli 66's. Much better than Dunlops.
Pirelli MT66 Route Cruiser Rear Tire - Cruiser Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore You will get fresh tires from them, but always check the date code before install anyway. Pirelli also is the parent company of Metzler. You usally get what you pay for as far as quality is concerned and Dunflop being an exception to this rule from my experience. I would avoid any Chinese made tires for obvious reasons. My a** is worth more than a few bucks saved. At least I think so. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts