Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my '08 Shadow Spirit 750 today. I noticed a few things. First the foot brake needs to be pushed in until it almost locks the back wheel for the brake light to come on. Hand brake is fine. Also the brake peddle seems very high, and I think that I will try to lower it as shown in the manual I downloaded. Second, this is my first bike, but the turn signal switch seems to be very stiff. I push it to signal a turn and then it takes about 3 or 4 seconds to go back to the middle where I can push it in to cancel it. Is this normal? Can I just spray some electrical contact cleaner into it to try and ungunk it? Plus I noticed that when I pushed it in to cancel a few times it just stayed with the 4 way hazards on according to the speedo display. Thanks!

· Registered
9,268 Posts
There is an adjustment for the brake light switch on your foot pedal. You should be able to see how to adjust it by looking at it. I cant really remember off the top of my head, but I have had to adjust mine before.

As far as the turn signal switch goes, spraying stuff in it will do very little if anything. This is a common problem with Shadows. Disassembly is required. Its not hard and will take you about 15-20 minutes from start to finish. Make sure you take it completely apart. Little springs and balls and all and clean everything up good. Spray contact cleaner works good. Take pics of every step of the disassembly so you dont forget how to put it back together. And dont do in in a gravel driveway. Bring the switch insidebif possible and do it on a large towel so you dont loose any parts. I believe there is some step by step threads here with pics to help you. I think that one is a sticky. Check out the stickies or search in the forum search engine to find it. I'd post a link but can't do it from my mobile device. Good luck!

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,929 Posts
So I just got my '08 Shadow Spirit 750 today. I noticed a few things. First the foot brake needs to be pushed in until it almost locks the back wheel for the brake light to come on. Hand brake is fine. Also the brake peddle seems very high, and I think that I will try to lower it as shown in the manual I downloaded. Second, this is my first bike, but the turn signal switch seems to be very stiff. I push it to signal a turn and then it takes about 3 or 4 seconds to go back to the middle where I can push it in to cancel it. Is this normal? Can I just spray some electrical contact cleaner into it to try and ungunk it? Plus I noticed that when I pushed it in to cancel a few times it just stayed with the 4 way hazards on according to the speedo display. Thanks!

My brakelight switch is adjustable, I imagine yours is...
Turn signal switch can be cleaned with spray, but the long haul fix is clean and lube by disaasembly...
Welcome to the madhouse,
Dennis

· Registered
4,627 Posts
There is an adjustment for the brake light switch on your foot pedal. You should be able to see how to adjust it by looking at it. I cant really remember off the top of my head, but I have had to adjust mine before.

As far as the turn signal switch goes, spraying stuff in it will do very little if anything. This is a common problem with Shadows. Disassembly is required. Its not hard and will take you about 15-20 minutes from start to finish. Make sure you take it completely apart. Little springs and balls and all and clean everything up good. Spray contact cleaner works good. Take pics of every step of the disassembly so you dont forget how to put it back together. And dont do in in a gravel driveway. Bring the switch insidebif possible and do it on a large towel so you dont loose any parts. I believe there is some step by step threads here with pics to help you. I think that one is a sticky. Check out the stickies or search in the forum search engine to find it. I'd post a link but can't do it from my mobile device. Good luck!
I noticed riding my sons ace today same problem with the turn signals getting worse so thanks for the info, I'll fix it for him before he gets back.
The brake switch and pedal are easy adjustments, done both on mine just by looking at them. There's an adjustment bolt on the pedal and the switch just has a nut on it also, both very easy to adjust, set the pedal first then the switch to match.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Found the switch sticky. Guess I need to go find some contact cleaner and diaelectric grease. Do you think 3 in 1 oil would be good enough? As per the brake, I will deal with that in the light of day.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,929 Posts
I use dielectric grease to make connections watertight and keep corrosion at bay...
Contact cleaner and lube for switches, NOT 3n1 oil...

EDIT>>
Electric wholesale will have proper switch lube/cleaners
I use EJC paste in a tube...

· Registered
359 Posts
My 98 1100 ACE signal switch is sorta sticky like that. Also noticed the brake peddle trigger for the brake light has to be adjusted atleast once per riding season. don't know if its from wear or if its from the vibrations of the bike. not worried about it really, its to easy to adjust. The signal switch is sorta tricky, so I got a spare and will swap it out later. you can find alot of the parts on ebay and amazon from salvage places. best wishes

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,929 Posts
I cleaned and lubed my turn switch when I got my ACE back in 2007, It has been good since...
Done properly;)
I use a continuous cleaning lube...

I gotta take a gander at John Boys tomorrow...
It is COLD, and COLD affects switch operation when it`s dirty and contaminated......

· Registered
4,627 Posts
I use dielectric grease to make connections watertight and keep corrosion at bay...
Contact cleaner and lube for switches, NOT 3n1 oil...

EDIT>>
Electric wholesale will have proper switch lube/cleaners
I use EJC paste in a tube...
Working in the water business I totally agree on the paste thing, I use it in any connections that could be under water.

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,929 Posts
Not necessarily UNDER water, BUT these switches are exposed to it...:)
TV technician, I grew up with cleaning switches...
Remember the Drum style TV tuners?
We cleaned and lubed them by hand too when they quit working...

In our switches, Them itty bitty springs and contacts need TLC, I suggest disassemble to get it done correctly...

Good Luck,
Dennis

· Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,929 Posts
Good Luck with this...
BE sure to catch any parts that MAY jump out...
I place a sheet under my patient to catch felled pieces...

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cleaned and lubed the switch. Took about 15 minutes. I removed the switch itself while leaving everything else on the bike. A through cleaning and then a little dielectric grease and now it clicks where it should and snaps back to center. No more gummy stickiness! Thanks everyone. Onward to the brake issue!:mrgreen:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.