Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been searching through some threads on this. I sprayed the controls with contact cleaner and checked the fuses. When I turn the key, front light works, turn signals work and if hit the brake, that rear light works too. But the tail light and license plate light don't turn on. I thought maybe the bike had to be running, tried that too and nada. If I turn the key to the left to lock the handlebars, the tail light and license plate do turn on. Im guessing this is some parking mode?? Anyways, pretty odd. Anyone have some suggestions?

·
Registered
372 Posts
At first blush, sounds like it may be a problem in a connector in your wiring harness that has a couple loose leads that get pushed together when you turn your steering head full left.. Just a guess, though.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
Yes there is a parking position on the ignition switch to the left.

I am wondering if the bulb check unit is failing? It is called the stop and tail warning system and shows a red light on the dash if a tail or brake bulb burns out. Does that red light come on with the key for a second or two.
It may be bypassed in the parking position and that is why the lights work then.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes there is a parking position on the ignition switch to the left.

I am wondering if the bulb check unit is failing? It is called the stop and tail warning system and shows a red light on the dash if a tail or brake bulb burns out. Does that red light come on with the key for a second or two.
It may be bypassed in the parking position and that is why the lights work then.
No the only red light that is on is the oil light, and that goes away after i start the bike. I figured I was going to have to chase the wires back to the tail light, but was hoping maybe there was something more obvious. I tried wiggling the cables to see if i had a bad connection, nothing yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has someone been "working" on the lki9hgts before you got the Bike?

Hmmm,
D
I'm going to safely assume that yes, its been messed with. It hasn't run in many years. But besides the tractor pipes for mufflers, everything looks really good

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
The loose brown wire is normal it may be for aux equipment but not connected to anything on mine either.

The fuse is actually the radiator fan fuse but why up in the bucket I don't know.
Here is where the manual shows that bulb check unit. But there is a possibility it is mounted behind the starter on the air box.. It would be possible to just jump the wires in and out to get the lights to work again. You just loose the warning when a bulb burns out.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
I forgot the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The oil light is a blown rear light indicator on some models not a separate light but it goes out it is probably not that.I have had wires come loose under the seat before.

·
Registered
16,272 Posts
We often times enjoy the challenge of going behind someone, finding what they did to cause or cure a problem...
Sometimes NOT!!!

Used Bikes are ALWAYS a mystery, we dunno what has been done to them and how they did it...

I pity them IF anyone hasto follow behind my stock wire repair :D
Rear lights had problems>
Hand brake operates the stock STOP light, and foot lever operates another set of LEDs for STOP Light :D :D

Just the way I hadto get it to work when the foot quit working the STOP light...
Working 0n rear left turn now ;)

Our Gurus will help

We are Family,
D

Therapy = working through it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I wanted to add the speedo and tach gauge lights do not turn on as well. I verified the bulbs were good. The indicator lights like turn signal, oil, neutral etc lights do work. Also horn doesn't work either. Ive been focusing most of my time getting the engine running again, and figuring out clutch issue. Finally getting to the fork seal replacement today. The only odd thing I see with wiring so far, is they ran the fan to a switch on the handle bar. He told me to turn it on when temp goes up. Yeah Ill be fixing that too. I spent a little time yesterday following the wire harness. It looks as original as the day it rolled off assembly line.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Another comment unbiased by any knowledge.. Since the PO wired in an auxiliary fan switch, just for kicks and giggles, any change to the no working lights or horn if the aux fan switch is in the "on" position?

·
Registered
11,790 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The fan switch was broken, but if I tire the wires together fan kicks on. But yeah I’ll put them together and see if anything lights up. I do have the manual, but haven’t looked at how far it goes into troubleshooting my issue. I e briefly looked over wiring diagram. But I may need to go more familiar at this point. Finally got the forks rebuilt so it’s coming together more now. Should hope be riding it soon!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well figured it out. Fuse looked fine. If i forced the fuse in and wiggled it, lights would turn on. Go figure. It was a 20amp, and I replaced with the correct 15 amp, but I still I feel it would have worked. But either way i replaced it, and its all good now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts