Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the BrakeAway throttle lock about a month ago. It looks great on the bike and has worked well. This past weekend when the weather here was very hot (90+) I noticed it would not stay locked in. It kept snapping back open. This morning it works fine. Temps much cooler (65+). Has anyone else noticed temps affecting this unit?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Obvoiusly thermal expansion. I seem to recall there is a tension adjustment (don't have one but a friend does). Call the factory if you can't figger it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry, dupped the post

·
Registered
80 Posts
The first time I assembled my Brake Away I used a thinner rubber insert (middle thickness) so it would go over the throttle handle easier. It worked for awhile then slipped in warm weather just as you experienced. I removed it and installed the thickest insert; then rubbed liquid dish soap over the throttle handle to get the mechanism to slide up to the handle base. After flushing the handle with water to remove the soap, the lock functioned perfectly and I've never had a problem.

Suggest you replace the rubber insert with the thickest one if you haven't done so, it will work well. If the thickest insert is installed, tighten the set screws slightly. Don't tighten them more than flush with aluminum ring they are threaded into or the set screws will damage your throttle handle. If tightening the set screw to flush level and installing the thickest rubber insert doesn't stop the slipping try removing and put a wrap of electrical tape around the handle or other such remedy.

Having used mine, I doubt it will come to that. Good luck and sweet rides.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts