Honda Shadow Forums banner

Brakes on an 1100 ACE

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  RONW 
#1 · (Edited)
So I am installing new front and rear brake pads this week on my bike. I have the Honda Tech manual and the instructions are straight forward, so I am comfortable with them. My questions is, nowhere in the manual does it say to lubricate or clean anything in the caliper area, nor does it mention spraying the pads with disc brake quiet. I'd have assumed spraying disc brake quiet on the steel pad backing was a good idea, as was hitting anything that comes in contact with the pads or slides with some of that thick caliper grease you use on car calipers. My brakes are wearing evenly and the rotors are the same, so it's not like I'd be looking to fix an issue, but not doing anything and simply throwing the pads in just seems strange to me. Your thoughts? Maybe I've been doing car brakes for too long. LOL ;)

#2 ·
Just like on your car or even more so on a bike, I always clean and inspect and lubricate everything to do with the brakes. A caliper sticking would ruin your new pads. I say yes!!!!! make sure every thing that should move is able to move with ease. So anti seize and anti squeak stuff should be used. :D Buts that is just my thoughts.

#3 ·
I've changed mine a couple of times. Clean things up? Yes. Lube? No. There isn't much there to lube anyway. Most places you'd want to put it, grease would end up becoming a sticky paste and gum up the works. It's a dry system.

Unless you want to get into rebuilding the calipers. That's a whole different discussion.

#11 ·
I strip mine and get rid of any built up residue from old pads or shoes, clean bare metal with a plastic scouring pad and use an air gun to blow all the dust away..

If replacing shoes I chamfer all the edges with a flat wood file.

John.

#16 ·
I've only lubed the brake pad pin, but should definitely have lubed the bracket pin & the caliper pin. I just didn't want to remove the rubber boots and end up damaging them in the process only to then realize I hadn't bought the silicone grease or misplaced the tube. Otherwise I don't see why lubing the bracket pin and the caliper pin shouldn't be done. More import, is shoe shining the brake pistons after extricating the pistons out of their bores a smidgen to expose and get rid of the ring around the collar. Also, supporting the calipers with a length of solid copper wire, etc., instead of letting them dangle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.