Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surfing around and discovered this forum so registered and now want to post a question. I am getting a new bike and it will be the first time for me having a brand new one and I am wondering about breaking it in. I found this advice http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm which says it should be broken in hard because the first 20 miles is the most important - something about setting the seals. But this approach seems at odds with dealer recommendations. So I'm confused. Any and all advice appreciated.
Thank you.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Looks like an interesting group. You're probably right about doing the break in the way the dealer suggests. I'm about as far removed from a mechanic as you'll find, but when I read the article on the website I referenced, the guy seemed to make sense. H ealso says you shouldn't go as long as the dealers recommend before your first oil change. But seriously, I don't have a clue about this stuff.

Spinmeister

· Registered
521 Posts
Spinmeister said:
Thanks for the welcome. Looks like an interesting group. You're probably right about doing the break in the way the dealer suggests. I'm about as far removed from a mechanic as you'll find, but when I read the article on the website I referenced, the guy seemed to make sense. H ealso says you shouldn't go as long as the dealers recommend before your first oil change. But seriously, I don't have a clue about this stuff.

Spinmeister
I'm in the same boat as you are as far as natural mechanics ability is concerned. My KLR was purchased brand new and I followed the manual to the letter. It was tough, but it did give me a lot of time to get a great sense of the bike. Also, the break-in perios is about the best gas mileage you'll ever see :lol: due to keeping the speed lower and the RPM's lower (as was recommended for my KLR).

· Registered
61 Posts
when breaking in any motor what you are doing is letting everything seat. The rings to the pistons and cylinders the bearings and seals get adjusted and lubricated letting all the surfaces get saturated with oil. When you ride a new motor hard your wearing your new parts faster cause the clearences haven't adjusted and loosened up. Its sorta like new boots or shoes they feel great all stiff and firm but if you went out and hiked a few miles in them your feet would probably be sore but after a few easy short trips they get loosened up and then you can go forever :lol:

· Registered
1,541 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but I suspect a great deal of the "break in" is done at the factory. As I understand it, they spin the engines up and run them through some diagnostics prior to shipping them to final assembly. That might explain why the owners manuals are pretty much silent on the question of break in.

My new 2007 Goldwing says hardly a word on the subject. The first oil change isn't due until 4K miles.

Varying speed and RPM for the first 600 miles or so is not a bad thing to do, but I wonder if it's really strictly required.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.